• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet arbitration case lost. What are consequences of noncompliance with ruling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgmt83

I recently lost an internet arbitration case and after having having to cancel a contract with a computer programmer whom i had hired through a freelance hiring website, namely Elance.

I had a contract with the programmer that specifically stated that I would not need to pay for any incomplete work. I ended up requesting that the project be canceled because the programmer was very difficult to get a hold of and he had missed the first deadline date in our contract. However the arbitrator decided to disregard the terms of our contract and reward the case to the programmer and now I supposedly owe him payment.

My questions are:

1) Is the decision in an arbitration case binding?
2) If it is binding, if the programmer decides to sue or open a case and I am out of state, would he need to come to my state to sue me?
3) Given the circumstances described above, if he were to sue me, would I have a strong case to defend myself?

tranquility

If your contract had an mandatory arbitration clause, you would need an attorney to have a chance to get it overturned in court. Even then, such clauses hold up even if the arbitrator does not follow the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">