• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stvmax

I was recently fired from a local grocery store chain, where I worked as a butcher. I was fired for eating a small piece of hamburger, which was at the end of a seasoned batch, it was too small to make a burger out of it so me and a co-worker who was also fired cooked a few small pieces from various batches, which would otherwise be thrown away. However the company knows this is an ongoing issue in the company and upper management wanted to make an "example" out of us. I have witness my immediate manager eat product without paying for it, and the store manager that fired me admitted to me when I was being fired that he too has done this. Is this fair?

Andy0192

is this fair?
Is it fair? That's up to you to decide.

Is it legal? Yes. They can fire you for eating on the job. Even if someone else did it and got away with it.

File for unemployment & look for a new job.

HomeGuru

I was recently fired from a local grocery store chain, where I worked as a butcher. I was fired for eating a small piece of hamburger, which was at the end of a seasoned batch, it was too small to make a burger out of it so me and a co-worker who was also fired cooked a few small pieces from various batches, which would otherwise be thrown away. However the company knows this is an ongoing issue in the company and upper management wanted to make an "example" out of us. I have witness my immediate manager eat product without paying for it, and the store manager that fired me admitted to me when I was being fired that he too has done this. Is this fair?
**A: no it is not fair. But unfair does not automatically equate to wrongful termination. In this case, the store had every right to terminate you.

stvmax

I understand that it is legal for them to terminate me, but others have been caught doing the same thing and they weren't terminated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
so thats not discrimination?
It's not ILLEGAL discrimination.

Very few types of discrimination are actually illegal.

Furthermore, I suspect that you were fired not only for eating the meat, but for stealing it in the first place.

HomeGuru

It's not ILLEGAL discrimination.

Very few types of discrimination are actually illegal.

Furthermore, I suspect that you were fired not only for eating the meat, but for stealing it in the first place.
**A: the OP was fired under the Hamburglar clause. Did you notice that the OP did not state the state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
well we didn't pay for it, but it would of been thrown away if we didn't eat it.
What the OWNER of an item decides to do with it at a later point doesn't change the fact that it's stealing.

Heck, this computer I'm typing on doesn't belong to me...but they're going to throw it away down the road anyway, so I'll just take it home with me... :rolleyes:

swalsh411

well we didn't pay for it, but it would of been thrown away if we didn't eat it.
Q: Why do restaurants often have rules about employees eating food that is going to be thrown away?

A: To prevent employees from making more food than is needed so they get to eat it for free.

HomeGuru

Q: Why do restaurants often have rules about employees eating food that is going to be thrown away?

A: To prevent employees from making more food than is needed so they get to eat it for free.
**A: it is possible to combine small pieces of left over hamburger and make a small burger. Heck maybe even a mini meatloaf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">