• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonuses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heather5

i'm from ny, and work for a store that is closing. at the time we started liquidating, the liquidation company and representatives from the store promised myself and another member of management a bonus if we agreed to keep working for them until the store closed its doors. i also agreed to take another job with the same company with less hours, figuring the money I would be getting as a bonus would supplement my income enough till this semester ended, and i could find a second job. Now the store is closing in 2 days, and when we mentioned the bonuses to our boss, she said don't be surprised if we don't get one, becuase it depends on how much was sold. At the beginning, they promised the money, and I wanted to know if they can change they're mind just like that.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Sure they can unless they get caught. You have a classic oral contract. It will be your word against theirs. Were all the terms of the agreement clear? Was their consideration on both sides. Or was their "promise" merely a gratuitous offer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">