• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unreadable License ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmowmow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I was ticketed for unreadable license. It's on a motorcylce and mounted on what looks like factory placement with a light. To me it looks visible from any angle except below two feet which would have to be almost lying on the ground. It seems to me that the offficer had an attitude, also on a motorcycle. When I showed him the mounting he said I might have a after-market tire which he said was blocking the license.

Is there an specifics as to what is readable such as height & distance for visibility? rather than opinion. What about factory mounting for the specific year, justified when produced?

Is this a moving violation? the price on the ticket is $124.oo

Is there anyway to avoid getting other tickets, (harassed), if this one is dismissed?

Thanks for you help

Last edited:

justalayman

. It's on a motorcylce and mounted on what looks like factory placement with a light.
It may look like a factory placement but is it a factory placement?

When I showed him the mounting he said I might have a after-market tire which he said was blocking the license
.do you have an other than stock size tire?

Is there anyway to avoid getting other tickets, (harassed), if this one is dismissed?
ya, move the mount to where it will not be questionable.

forgot to ask: what is the code section cited?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I was ticketed for unreadable license. It's on a motorcylce and mounted on what looks like factory placement with a light. To me it looks visible from any angle except below two feet which would have to be almost lying on the ground. It seems to me that the offficer had an attitude, also on a motorcycle. When I showed him the mounting he said I might have a after-market tire which he said was blocking the license.

Is there an specifics as to what is readable such as height & distance for visibility? rather than opinion. What about factory mounting for the specific year, justified when produced?

Is this a moving violation? the price on the ticket is $124.oo

Thanks for you help
**A: sounds like an equipment violation.

justalayman

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.
that's the best I can find. So, based on that, unless you can make an argument the mounting allows the plate to be read at all times (obviously a virtual impossibility) it sounds like this would allow a cop to pull you over just about anytime.

it does state yo can seek permission from the state patrol to approve of the mount. It still won't prevent you from getting pulled over but it should prevent a ticket being issued (as long as you carry the approval with you)

xylene

Factory placement or no, if your mount does not conform to the standard then it has to be moved.

Asking yourself objectively, not as the owner who would rather not change anything or be more plate visible on a motorcycle that has no purpose other than to exceed the speed limit....

Could this plate be mounted in a way that was more visible?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">