• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the law require me to be served or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pizza

I keep reading conflicting comments. Does the law require that I be served or not? It's a pretty simple question, right?

I was driving a rental car in AZ and I live in CA. I received a notification in the mail (with my last name misspelled) stating that I was driving 11 miles per hour over the speed limit. The picture is of me.

I'm reading comments that state I must be served before the notice actually becomes a ticket. Therefore, my thought is to ignore the notification and wait until I'm served before I actually send them a check. This plan will work if the law requires them to serve me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

If you lived in AZ, it would not be a valid serve and you could likely get away with ignoring what they mailed you with little recourse until the day comes when you get a valid serve. Since you reside out of state, however, the rules change. A valid serve under ARS is no longer required, and should you ignore your citation, AZ will report it to the CA DMV and you risk points as well as even a suspension of your license.

Maestro64

I keep reading conflicting comments. Does the law require that I be served or not? It's a pretty simple question, right?

I was driving a rental car in AZ and I live in CA. I received a notification in the mail (with my last name misspelled) stating that I was driving 11 miles per hour over the speed limit. The picture is of me.

I'm reading comments that state I must be served before the notice actually becomes a ticket. Therefore, my thought is to ignore the notification and wait until I'm served before I actually send them a check. This plan will work if the law requires them to serve me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The bold text is the only thing important here, if you do not pay who every you rented the car from will pay and charge your CC card. That is the reality of the situation.

It does not matter what the laws say since AZ does not follow their own laws if they did you would have been properly served. You can stand on your high horse and claim they are not following the law and be right, but it will cost you lots of time and money to be right and the state knows this, so they are hoping you realize this and just pay than try and spend more money to show they were wrong. In reality the State is blackmailing and racketeering out of state drivers, and they just love out state drivers especially one who drive rental cars, since they will get their money at little expense to themselves.

Last edited:

pizza

Thanks for the replies. However, I wish the answers to my questions were different.

I think AZ and the rental car company are definitely voiding my rights by not posting signs announcing these 'auto ticket' systems they have in place. Had I known about this, I never would have been speeding. I wonder how many out-of-state travelers have fallen into this trap?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the replies. However, I wish the answers to my questions were different.

I think AZ and the rental car company are definitely voiding my rights by not posting signs announcing these 'auto ticket' systems they have in place. Had I known about this, I never would have been speeding. I wonder how many out-of-state travelers have fallen into this trap?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

racer72

The speed limit sign on the side of the road was your legal notification.

Maestro64

Hate to tell you this, they do have it posted, I have seen them was there recently, you just missed the posting which is easy to do when there is lots of traffic on the roads. BTW, AZ laws only apply to AZ residents, unless you are willing to drive back and fight your case.

To add insult to injury, AZ just took these systems off line because their own citizens refuse to pay since they can not be coerce them into paying and the state was loosing money.

iancamarillo

If you lived in AZ, it would not be a valid serve and you could likely get away with ignoring what they mailed you with little recourse until the day comes when you get a valid serve. Since you reside out of state, however, the rules change. A valid serve under ARS is no longer required, and should you ignore your citation, AZ will report it to the CA DMV and you risk points as well as even a suspension of your license.
wow. where did you obtain this information? Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">