• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I might be investigated for warranty fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fuwad84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hi I live in Illinois and I feel that the possibility exists that I may be charged with warranty fraud because I am unable to produce my proof of purchase after making a claim and I am told that they have no record of many of my warranties. Do I have legal options even if nothing has been done yet?

swalsh411

I'm not aware of that specific criminal charge, but assuming it exists, why do you think you might be charged? Did you committ warrenty fraud?

You have the right to not speak to the police.

cosine

Perhaps the warranty company makes such threats when people try to make claims and there are no such records. Tell us more about this, such as what this is for, what kind of issue exists, and how you remember getting the warranty.

You likely will need the proof to make the claim. Many warranty companies are losing a lot of money due to the drop in retail sales over the past couple years. It is very possible they routinely deny claims just to weed out those that lose their receipts. And given that most people do, this can work. This MAY have happened to you.

So where did this information about this investigation come from? The warranty company? The product manufacturer? The retailer? Some government entity?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">