• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Distribute Money to Heirs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jen1Jen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was named Executrix by the court for my mother's small Texas estate. I live in Ohio. I have 3 brothers who were named heirs to her estate. I sold her house, car and cashed in her stock; all monies from assets are in a bank account. I am ready now to distribute the money 4 ways.

My questions are:

1) Is there paperwork that I should have each of my brothers sign to say they agree that what's in the bank account is it? Or as the Executrix, do I just send them each checks with a piece of paper that shows how much I sold the car, house, etc. for? Or, do I just send them checks?

2) As Executrix, I also incurred plenty of travel expenses flying back and forth from Ohio to Texas two times (once to clean out my mother's home, the 2nd time to attend Probate court). I also paid her insurance payments, land payments, utility bills, etc., out of my own pocket until I was named Executrix, and then I reimbursed myself from her bank account. Do I need to provide my brothers with a list of my expenses, as well?

3) The lawyer I hired for Probate court a year ago has since been charged with a crime and will not return phone calls. I can't afford to pay for another attorney to file a "petition for discharge" to close the estate. The county probate court said I don't need to close the estate, but isn't this a good idea? And is there a way I can file the petition on my own?

Thank you for your help,
JenWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Jen1Jen

I realize I could pay another thousand to get these questions answered. The estate is small and I'd rather just have someone with legal know-how in the state of Texas answer these rather simple questions.

tranquility

1) Huh?
No.
No.

2) Yes.

3) Huh?
Yes.

Simple answers to "simple" questions. Yet, I suspect someone would need to review the facts of your specific case to know for sure.

Dandy Don

It shouldn't be too difficult to find an attorney willing to provide you with a 1 hour or 2 hour consultation at a reasonable hourly rate, which will certainly not add up to a thousand dollars. And you need to file an ethics complaint with the Texas State Bar Association against the other attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">