• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfull termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riviera coleman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york:confused:
hello'my name is riviera coleman,my problem is ;i was terminated from my place of employment on 11-23-20009.the reason given was that i was a threat to the company because i suffer from depression.
in may of 20009 i was sent to employee assistent program to be evaluated
a total of three days,completed i returned to work as i did every day but my work schedual changed my tittel plus my work load incresed.
after five month past things where not better,on nov.23rd of 20009 i told a co,worker that i no longer like working for the company the next day i was calleds into the office and told by my boss and the director that i was fired.
i asked for my termination in writing but i was dinied.the only explanation given was that i was a threat and could not be trusted.i contacted EEOC,after a long investegation of six months i was told that they could not help me and that i shuld contact a lawer for possible suite,i need an attorney
problem is i have lettel funds to none.need advice can you help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york:confused:
hello'my name is riviera coleman,my problem is ;i was terminated from my place of employment on 11-23-20009.the reason given was that i was a threat to the company because i suffer from depression.
in may of 20009 i was sent to employee assistent program to be evaluated
a total of three days,completed i returned to work as i did every day but my work schedual changed my tittel plus my work load incresed.
after five month past things where not better,on nov.23rd of 20009 i told a co,worker that i no longer like working for the company the next day i was calleds into the office and told by my boss and the director that i was fired.
i asked for my termination in writing but i was dinied.the only explanation given was that i was a threat and could not be trusted.i contacted EEOC,after a long investegation of six months i was told that they could not help me and that i shuld contact a lawer for possible suite,i need an attorney
problem is i have lettel funds to none.need advice can you help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This is not an attorney referral service. Click the link at the bottom of this box.

st-kitts

You received what is called a right to sue letter. If the EEOC feels a case is compelling, the EEOC represents the charging party at no cost. From an employer standpoint the right to sue letter, means the response the employer filed to the charge adequately proved that no illegal behavior occurred against charging party.

Thus, if the case is strong, an individual has no need to hire legal representatioin for a discrimination claim. The fact you received a right to sue letter indicates your case is not strong. That means the chances of successfully suing an employer, if you obtain an attorney, are slim to none. The clock is also ticking, the right to sue letter will tell you how many days you have to actually bring a suit against your employer on this issue.

Bearing all this in mind, I believe you would do better to invest whatever funds you have on education or other job skills, or simply job hunting.

You are unlikely to recover money from your former employer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Holy hannah, where the heck do you get this?

The EEOC takes very, very few cases onto themselves. They do not have the staff or resources to take every case with merit; only the ones that either may end up as a class action or which have exceptional circumstances. The large majority of cases are issued a right to sue letter - the issuance of such a letter does NOT mean that nothing illegal was found. It might mean that there is not sufficient information to say one way or another, or even that illegal discrimination was found but that the case is not exceptional enough for the EEOC to spend taxpayer money litigating it themselves. OR it might mean that nothing illegal was found.

ABSOLUTELY the poster should speak to one or more attorneys. If no lawyer will take the case on contingency, THEN it will be soon enough to say that the claim has no merit. It may, or it may not, but the issuance of a right to sue letter ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT mean that nothing illegal was found.

st-kitts

Holy hannah, where the heck do you get this?

The EEOC takes very, very few cases onto themselves. They do not have the staff or resources to take every case with merit; only the ones that either may end up as a class action or which have exceptional circumstances. .
Holy hanna is right. Where do you get that?

If you said, "the EEOC takes very few cases to court, preferring to settle out of court", I could go as far as to agree with that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I get that by actually knowing something about how the EEOC works. Which you clearly do not.

st-kitts

The Charge Handling Process

"Possible Action After Investigation Completed

If we haven’t found a violation of the law, we will send you a Notice-of-Right-to-Sue. This notice gives you permission to file a lawsuit in a court of law. If we find a violation, we will try to reach a voluntary settlement with the employer. If we cannot reach a settlement, your case will be referred to our legal staff (or the Department of Justice in certain cases), who will decide whether or not the agency should file a lawsuit. If we decide not to file a lawsuit, we will give you a Notice-of-Right-to-Sue.

I was offering the advice off personal experience but the above is quoted from the EEOC website. EEOC charges happen to be my favorite part of the playground. I note and duly respect the vast majority of your posts. Here, I professionally disagree.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Through its administrative enforcement process, the Commission receives, investigates, and resolves charges of employment discrimination filed against private sector employers, employment agencies, labor unions, and state and local governments, including charges of systemic discrimination. Where the Commission does not resolve these charges through conciliation or other informal methods, the Commission may also engage in litigation against private sector employers, employment agencies and labor unions (and against state and local governments in cases alleging age discrimination or equal pay violations).

Also from the EEOC website. Note MAY. Not WILL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">