• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing False Claim - Unknowingly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mechkt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

This might be a bit hard to believe but this is how it goes... I parked my car at a self-park in NY for 4 days while I was traveling outside the country. I get back and find my car with a yellow crash cling wrapper covering the front passenger side window, I check, there is no window. I open and check the contents, nothing is missing. I see the manager and he admits that they get vandals every now and then who break into parked cars, he is very apologetic, suggests I call the police and waives my parking fee. I call the police, file the report, call my insurance company and arranges for the glass to be replaced the next day. As I am driving home I am thinking, you know its strange that there are no glass pieces anywhere inside the car, when I mentioned it to the manager he said a staff might have cleaned it, out of curiosity I pull the automatic window button and there comes the window out of the door!!! I just forgot to pull the window up and a good Samaritan put the cling wrapper to protect it from the rain. You can just imagine how stupid I felt! But now this puts me in a difficult position, I want to write to the manager and apologize and offer to pay the parking fees. I also have to retract the report with the police. But would this put me in trouble with the police for filing a false claim? I certainly didn't intend to? The insurance company just filed it as a normal glass claim and didn't want to know anything about the police report. What should I do?

MikeKV

imho - As long as you're honest and retract your reports with the police and your insurance co. you are not going to be charged with filing a false claim. From your explanation it certainly appears to me as a mistake on your part. Just report back to all and let them know what you have found. Also, go back to the parking lot and offer to pay the fees. Easy! Don't worry. As long as you're honest to all parties you'll be fine. Do it soon though.

You Are Guilty

I concur with the prior poster, there is little to be worried about if you are honest with the insurance company and police. But I did want to post to commend your honesty - it's nice to see that some people still have morals these days. Well done.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The key is don't wait too long. Now that you know everything is alright get it corrected ASAP.

justalayman

it isn't a false claim if you believe what you report to be true.

but now that you know it isn't true, you must contact the police and insurance company and correct the error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">