• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer not sending checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdrifter440

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

My wife was left some money in a will 3 years ago

Her father was executor did what he was appointed to do

Everything was paid off and everything sold

Executor turned everything back over to the lawyer to look over and send out

final payments to everyone. This was one year ago

Lawyer told everyone would be getting final checks later that month 11 months ago

Lawyer sent out little checks about 5 months ago and has made every excuse of why

he has not sent out final payments.

I tried to tell my family the lawyer has a million cases going at once he works

for other people not just us.

Then lawyer no longer answers phone now even im scared we are getting ripped off

My father in law (executor) calls him every 2 weeks to ask when we will get our money

and now the lawyer does not answer any calls.

Executor files complaint will New York Bar complaint comes back

"lawyer states Executor records are eligible" the bar sides with lawyer

Some how lawyer states to Executor "he is never getting is money" now that he filed a bar complaint

NOW THE QUESTION IS OF COURSE THE LAWYER IS GOING TO HAVE TO PAY UP SOMETIME

HOW LONG DOES THE LAWYER HAVE? OR JUST WILL THE LAWYER NEVER MAKE THE FINAL PROBATE COURT DATE?

seniorjudge

The executor needs to file a pleading with the court showing chronologically what has happened. A copy should be sent to the lawyer.

BTW, how did the lawyer make the threat that he would never pay since a bar complaint was filed? If you can prove it, then you need to file another complaint.

Dandy Don

Was any type of official accounting ever provided? Do you even have any idea of how much you are supposed to be getting in total?

Stop making excuses for the attorney that he has lots of other people to depend, as that is really not a valid reason to treat you all so shabbily. He has stolen your money and its time to make him accountable, even if you have to hire another attorney to do it.

anteater

He has stolen your money and its time to make him accountable, even if you have to hire another attorney to do it.
By all means... You need to make your father-in-law accountable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">