• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladyghostwolf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

Thought I had posted this before but no longer see my posting on the forum so trying again.

In March of this year, a friend was over for a visit and had parked her truck in our driveway where vehicles normally do not park as it is in the back-up zone for my car. We were going to an event together for which I would be driving. We get into my car and I backed up, forgetting she was parked in the back-up zone and backed right into her truck. We immediately got out, accessed the damage. All her truck had as far as damage went was a fog light bracket broken and the light dangled down. The light itself was not broken. My cars rear left light casing was totally smashed due to where her trucks bumper hit as well as the tail gate was no longer able to open. My bumper went underneath hers. She said no worries and that her hubby could pick up a part at a junk place if I would just pay for the part. We agreed on that.

Within the first month I inquired 3 to 4 times about the price for the part and they were always too busy to have checked. So life goes on and I don't hear anything about the part until last week when her husband calls me up and says "I am at the body shop and the repair to the truck is going to be $450" Mind you, 4months have gone by and I have not talked to this person/couple but maybe twice within that time. Now mind you, I wouldn't be so upset if I did not know that this couple is also wanting to fix up this truck for resale to a dealership. I feel that I am being taken advantage of.

How long does a person have before a claim on a fender bender is no longer valid? I will pay for the damage that I did but how can I be sure I am paying for only what I did to the truck and not what has happened since March? What are my own legal rights in a matter such as this? I am not trying to get out of paying for the damage I caused but like I said previous, am only willing to pay for what I did do and nothing else.

Thank-you for any insight you could give me on this issue.

ecmst12

Statute of limitations for property damage in your state is 3 years. So that is how long they have to file a claim with your insurance or sue you. You owe for the cost to repair the damage you did, and they are not required to use junkyard parts or fix it themselves. $450 is a VERY low cost for body work. You can ask to see the estimate if you like, but your choices are pay them, or turn it over to your insurance company and let them pay.

ladyghostwolf

Thank-you both for you help. I appreciate it! :)

Figured those were my choices. I had done some other checking around.

Thanks and have a great weekend!!! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">