• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fake doctors note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shortstuff84

I took leave of absence from work and my roommate sent in a fake doctors note. HR followed up with "the doctor" and said they didn't see me. Can I get fired?

cyjeff

Can you? At will employment means that you can be terminated with or without notice, with or without stated reason at any time.

You are an at will employee. Therefore, yes, you can be terminated.

Should you? That is a business decision.

If I was your boss, I wouldn't want someone that would willingly lie to me and try to cheat my company on the payroll.

shortstuff84

No one was cheated on payroll its was vacation time that was used. My roommate was the one that emailed the note I had nothing to do with it.

Kiawah

My roommate was the one that emailed the note I had nothing to do with it.
Your roomate, out of the blue, decided to look up your boss's email address, and send them a note indicating you'd be off work. That coincidentally was the day, that you decided to take off work on your own.

Get serious, nobody is going to believe that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Changes nothing. EVEN IF we take his story at face value, he still not only CAN be fired, the odds are pretty good that he WILL be fired.

It is just as legal to fire you because your roommate sent in a fake note, as it is to fire you because you sent in a fake note.

It doesn't matter one whit if vacation time was used.

Are you starting to understand this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">