• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alarm System Automatic Renewal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I signed a contract with an alarm company for 3 years back in 2007. When the contract was up I went to cancel it a couples of days before the end of the term (because I moved) and I didn't realize that the following clause was in the contract:

after the years is up "Contract will automatically continue from year-to-year thereafter unless cancelled by either of us in writing at least thirty (30) days before the end of the initial term of any renewal term"

I didn't realize this clause was in there and I tried to cancel the contract after the 30 day period (I know I should have read it better, but it's been 3 years since I looked at it).

My question is: Is this a legal clause? Can I fight it somehow?

(I've moved and for personal reasons I can't transfer the service to my new location.)

There are a couple of simple ways to get out of it. The most common is the size and clairity of the wording on the back of your copy.
You claim that you have moved. Are the existing residents still using the system and is the monitoring still working? Many get out of it : They can't charge you for services not rendered.
Did you ever contact them because you moved? = notification of cancelation....
If you no longer live there and the new occupants don't want to take over the charges - stop paying for it.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are a couple of simple ways to get out of it. The most common is the size and clairity of the wording on the back of your copy.
You claim that you have moved. Are the existing residents still using the system and is the monitoring still working? Many get out of it : They can't charge you for services not rendered.
Did you ever contact them because you moved? = notification of cancelation....
If you no longer live there and the new occupants don't want to take over the charges - stop paying for it.

Good luck.
Yes, stop paying for it (as the insane would recommend) - of course, a judge would be the one to rule on how much you will owe. But, you WILL owe.
(Note: "Judge", as used above, may be an arbitrator, depending on the contract)

Yeah, that's what I figured (that I'd still owe). I just thought I'd double check because I've vaguely heard about illegal clauses in contracts not holding up in court and thought I'd double check to see if it was legal. Thanks for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">