• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reference or Not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ova

Is there a difference between listing a past employer on you resume and listing them as a reference?
I keep hearing a former employer that is listed as a reference is open to say what he/she wants as long as it isn't a lie. If I know what they will say will be bad I'm tempted to leave them off the resume so they can’t be contacted. If I do so and then fill out an application and don't include them I open myself up to being fired at some point don’t I.
What do I do to insure they don’t interfere with my getting a new job?

A

Attorney_Replogle

Someone gave you bogus information. The law of every state limits what a former employer can say to a prospective new employer of the same employee (in other words; You!). It matters not whether you list that employer as a reference or on the bathroom stall.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">