• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will happen?? UHaul rental accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheepingly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

A while ago my father needed to rent a UHaul becuase my parents were moving. Because they are on limited income and retired and couldn't afford the Uhaul I agreed to pay for it. At the time of the rental, Uhaul had me sign the documents becuase it was going to be paid under my atm card...although they noted on the paperwork that he was going to be the driver.

I also purchased the SafeMove insurance protection when I rented the Uhaul.

Long story short my dad got into an accident with a car and hit a gate as well. He damaged a Mercedes tail light and there was a big scratch underneath the tail light [caused no damage to the Uhaul]. But he ended up hitting a metal gate which broke off the Uhaul's driver's side mirror and bent the the door partially off the hinge.

The owner of the mercedes was very hostile and aggressive...long story short my dad isn't insured under a personal vehicle (he doesn't own a car) and at the time of the accident my personal car wasn't covered by an insurance (i was in the middle of switching carrier's and had put it on hold to focus on the move for a couple of days). The owner of the mercedes know that he was driving but I rented the vehicle. They also know my dad is not insured. (I don't know if they were talking about Uhaul's insurance or my dad's personal one). They also took both of our driver's license info and contact info.

Since they were hostile and aggressive I don't know what they will do or what they can do. My coworker said if they dont want their personal insurance to cover damages (because of the rate increase if they do so) that they can sue either him , me, or both of us civilly. I need someone to answer this. What can they do?

P.S. becuase I purchased Safe Move. The damage to the truck from hitting a gate was covered so I don't have to pay those costs.

Last edited:

ecmst12

If you had no liability coverage on the truck or any other vehicle, then you will have to pay for all the damage out of pocket. Well, you and your dad, but seeing as he's broke and was depending on you to make sure he was covered to drive the truck, it's probably going to be you.

sheepingly

I think the driver of the Mercedes reported it to their insurance cause I think Mercury Insurance called today. Can't they just use their Uninsured Motorist - Property Damage to cover the damage (UMPD)? Assuming they have that option on their policy?

racer72

I think the driver of the Mercedes reported it to their insurance cause I think Mercury Insurance called today. Can't they just use their Uninsured Motorist - Property Damage to cover the damage (UMPD)? Assuming they have that option on their policy?
This point is really irrelevant. Instead of the driver suing for the damages, the insurance company will come after you and Dad for reimbursement and sue if they have too.

ecmst12

I'm sure since they have a Mercedes they have collision coverage. Their insurance will pay for the damage and YOU will have to pay their insurance company. Having insurance is SOOO much cheaper then not having it.

sheepingly

I'm sure since they have a Mercedes they have collision coverage. Their insurance will pay for the damage and YOU will have to pay their insurance company. Having insurance is SOOO much cheaper then not having it.
But why do we have to pay the insurance when they pay for that coverage to cover it!

They don't have to sue they can bill us and work out a payment plan i hope.

ecmst12

Because the vehicle that you were responsible for caused the damage, so why should anyone else (other then YOUR insurance of course, who you pay to cover your negligence) cover your negligence? His insurance company is paid to cover HIS negligence, and in this case he had none.

It is likely that they will accept a reasonable payment plan from you as long as you adhere to it. Start missing payments, and they will sue. And don't expect to pay $10/month or anything like that, those repairs are going to be very pricey (parts for Mercedes aren't cheap) and they are going to want it to be paid off within a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:

pinguina

I will contribute to your "fund"

sheepingly, I feel your pain. I would like to contribute a tiny amount of money to help you pay for the damages that your family incurred.

Here is my story: I was interested in getting the SafeMove Plus from U-Haul, but the woman at the place renting me the U-Haul truck told me that the SafeMove Plus was only for covering $1,000,000 of my stuff, not for covering damage that I might do to others (like if I were to hit a pedestrian or car). So I did not purchase SafeMove Plus. I only purchased SafeMove. AFTER I had paid and driven the U-haul truck, I read the official U-Haul document that I received after I paid for the truck, that seemed to indicate that the woman who rented me the truck provided me with misinformation. I flipped out when I realized that I had turned down insurance that would cover me hitting a pedestrian and other cars! The U-Haul website did not explain the insurances well during the ordering processes. The document that I had signed did mention that SafeMove Plus provided liability insurance, but after the woman renting me that truck had spent time to tell me that SafeMove Plus did not cover those kinds of things, I did not want to seem like I did not believe what she had said. She made the SafeMove Plus sound almost like a scam. I am still very angry at myself.

Is there a way that I can contact you privately through this forum, without us giving out our e-mail addresses to the world?

ecmst12

This post is over 3 years old and the poster is long gone. Start your own thread if you have a question.

OHRoadwarrior

Not to mention she appears to have misunderstood the agent.
Safemove, Safemove Plus ®, CDW and Safetow will not cover theft of your rented U-Haul equipment if, in fact, it is determined that neglect played a role in it's disappearance, and at no time will Safemove, Safemove Plus or Safetow cover theft of your owned motor vehicle, accessories, or personal contents in the towed trailer or rented truck.

quincy

To sheepingly, should you revisit the forum after 3 years to look up your thread:

PLEASE be wary of anyone on this forum, or any other forum, asking for your email address or other personal identifying information. You do not know pinguina and we do not know pinguina.

If you continue to have legal concerns after this amount of time has passed, consult with an attorney in your area for face-to-face assistance.

pinguina

It is possible to do private messaging on this forum, so that the whole world does not see contact information. I was not able to figure it out on the first day of my first post, but I figured it out today. I had to go to "My Profile" at the top right corner and change my settings to allow private messages to be sent and received. You can also change the settings so that supposedly you get an e-mail when someone sends you a private message.

I am not after anybody's money or personal stuff.

pinguina

OHRoadwarrior, you seemed to have missed my point. My point was that the employee who gave me the U-Haul document to sign about insurance did not seem to understand the insurance herself, based on what she told me, which was wrong.

Proserpina

OHRoadwarrior, you seemed to have missed my point. My point was that the employee who gave me the U-Haul document to sign about insurance did not seem to understand the insurance herself, based on what she told me, which was wrong.

For the love of pete, please just start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">