• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Referring a case to Grand Jury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scoobie6577

NJ; My son was arrested in February and charged with possession with intent to distribute. He is an adult. After numerous court dates that were all postponed, he went to court this morning and the prosecutor said that he was referring the case to a grand jury. Why after all of these months would this suddenly happen? Does anybody know?

FlyingRon

It means they think they have enough of a case to get an indictment handed down. Hopefully he has a lawyer lined up.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
A grand jury simply decides if there is enough evidence to proceed with a trial, not if the defendant is guilty or innocent.

scoobie6577

Thanks for the responses. Yes, my son has a lawyer already. I just thought it was odd that after all of these months, they are now referring it.

FlyingRon

Thanks for the responses. Yes, my son has a lawyer already. I just thought it was odd that after all of these months, they are now referring it.
Not odd at all. The police and prosecutors are busy and putting together a case takes time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">