• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding at 60 & riding in left lane.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MattMe

I'm looking for confirmation of a few things, resources, and experience.

Where can these questions be answered if not here?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Resident: Medford, Oregon
Ticketed: Los Angeles, CA
Company: Phoenix, AZ
Terminal: Portland Metro Area, OR
Court: Superior Court

I drive a tractor-trailer combination so this is a Commercial Motor Vehicle ticket.
The officer wrote two violations:
1) 60 in a 55. I don't remember exactly, but I don't travel at 60. 59.0 is the highest I ever go as indicated by my RoadRelay computer. Either way, simply denying the speeding charge won't work. The Officer had a partner(or mentor) and they don't have to prove anything right?
He did not indicate on the ticket how he figured it out.

2) Riding in lane 2 (second from left) of 4.

Both of these are moving violations. One more in a year and I'm fired and prohibited from driving a CMV.
-------------------------------
Did a little research so far and it appears I need to start by attempting to get the case dismissed. Please confirm the steps to this process:

1) Send a written request for "informal discovery" to the court address via certified mail with the case number & Ticket number immediately.
-Is there a form for this? If not what do I need to include?

2) Wait 10 days for the courtesy letter with case details and list of options

3) Send a written plea of not guilty via certified mail with a check for the bail amount. Include case number & ticket number. Specifically request arraignment two-four weeks later. In my job this is due to lack of transportation to the court hearing. I can't simply drive a company truck where I will.
-Is there a form for this? If not, what do I need to include?

4) Six or more days before the arraignment send a certified testimony in writing with a request to make a written appearance. Specifics of this I'm still researching. It seems this is just an attempt to bother the officer and I should not give any real information. Just say, "I was traveling a safe speed and in the safest lane given the circumstances."
I could be wrong about this. The Judge for the written appearance could rule not guilty based on real information and the "trial de nuvo(6)" could have a different judge with a different ruling.

5) If the officer also sends written testimony and the case is ruled against me request a Trial de Nuvo. Request via Writing immediately with a delay for three weeks again for arranging adequate transportation. I live hundreds of miles away. :)

6) Appear and fight the case.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Is there a precedent for counter-suit? Separate law suit? Plea bargaining would be nice.

My goals should be (if I'm right) to make CA pay out money in any way possible to discourage continuance of the case. Not necessarily to me, just out of their pocket. Does trying to get the case dismissed hamper this method? The officer gets paid to come in so that's money out of their pocket but incentive for him to come.

If I want to argue a case based on inappropriate law or enforcement can I admit guilt to this end? At what point should I do this?

Should I subpoena computer records from my company that may prove speed? The typical 5 mile/hour leeway officers gave isn't anything official is it?

Could I argue a case based on extortion or common speed of motorists, unsafe regulations, constitutional rights or anything like that?

I never consented to have my ethnicity recorded on the ticket which it was. Discrimination?

Can the lane riding charge be dismissed based on the on and off ramps being located on lanes 1 and 2? Unfortunately those ramps are 12 miles apart but given LA traffic... Can this work?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
------------------------------
If anything is unclear please say so, my head is buzzing.

Hot Topic

Your head is buzzing from your attempt to get out of the charge and possibly get some money out of the situation.

Hire a lawyer. If you can't afford one, see if the bar association has any lawyers who will work pro bono or for a smaller fee. Reputable lawyers don't search these forums for potential clients.

Last edited:

MattMe

First: thanks for mentioning the bar(where's my tab)? I assume you meant this:
Contact Us: American Bar Association
Seems to be an organization for aspiring lawyers, not defendants but I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Second:
Did I mention I'm one violation away from loosing a job because of this? I'm not interested in profit, as I said above, just keeping what I've got. The point of going for their money is the same reason they go for mine: deterrence. If I have something to bargain with I can make a deal which may be nothing more than dropping the charges but right now I've got nothing.

FlyingRon

No, not the ABA, but one of the local associations (usually at the county level). They frequently can offer referrals of lawyers who have indicated interest in a particular area of practice. If this indeed happened in LA County, the info on the LACBA is here:

http://www.lacba.org/showpage.cfm?pageid=1718#LRIS

MattMe

Ah, perfect, thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a kudos system on here?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">