• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whistleblower protection?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pele2048

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Virginia, employer is a "quasi-government" organization in Washington D.C.

My organization has been in the news regarding catastrophic safety failures. (Big giveaway there.)

I work in a department that maintains a particular system that is critical to worker safety as well as emergency responders in the event of another catastrophe or some sort of attack... (See London 2005, Madrid 2004, Tokyo 1995... That just kinda confirms my employer.)

This particular system has had MANY issues and I usually get an earful when it fails. The failures can be traced back to poor engineering, poor planning, and cost cutting on parts when it was installed.

I have heard that the superintendent of my department (My boss's boss's boss's boss... Four levels up, not including me... And well under the General Manager of the company...) worked for the contractor that installed the system years ago, and when he came to the company was in charge of testing and accepting the system... Sounds like a conflict of interest to me... And probably the precise reason that people have been offering solutions in the department and nothing is being done.

Regardless, it's hearsay and not really what I'm after... Not yet anyhow. I have left that out of the document I've prepared...

What is in the document is the theory of operation on how the system is supposed to work, a basic analysis on the causes of failure, the existing proposed temporary solutions that have been offered by management, criticism of these solutions, and my offering of a permanent solution... The only solution... One that both my direct supervisor and his boss both agree on, but are kinda yesmen to upper management about.

The document explains the technical aspects in language that a layperson can understand. It mentions no names, makes no accusations, and sticks straight to the facts.

Thing is, I have no clue what to do with it. Whom should I submit it to? How can I avoid any repercussions and disciplinary action.

I am a Union represented employee. But the Union has failed me in the past...

I really kinda like the shift that I'm on... But more than that, I really like being able to pay my bills and keep health insurance and all the other pleasantries that employment provides.

I hate the, "Just do what you're told." mentality that my co-workers have.
I hate the political bureaucracy that is middle and upper management.
But mostly, I'm rocking the boat because I don't want anyone to get hurt because a system that I work to maintain failed.

OSHA, the NTSB, I dunno... someone's gotta care what I have to say. And I'll send it to anyone who will be able to do something about it... But I wanna do so without consequence. I'm not a martyr.

I don't know what protections are in place for me.

Beth3

I fail to see how you're a whistleblower. You have created an analysis of the failures and have proposed your own solution to the problems. Whistleblower protections are for those who report violations of required standards or the law to a government agency or who report fiscal malfeasance internally or externally.

Pele2048

^

Because these same solutions had been verbally submitted years ago by many people and nothing's been done.

With an accident a year ago that claimed nine lives, injured over 70, and a couple million in property damage, the Federal Government (NTSB) is taking a very close look at safety measures...

If nothing gets done after management reads this document, I think that's the next step

Beth3

Because these same solutions had been verbally submitted years ago by many people and nothing's been done.

That doesn't change anything. It may only mean that there's a difference of opinion among a variety of people. If you can demonstrate that safety, construction, or related standards were ignored, then that's a different matter.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you have actually reported illegal transactions to the appropriate government or regulatory agency, then you will be entitled to whistleblower protections.

janimal

What we are saying is that you have no protection as a whistleblower because your post doesn't indicate you are engaging in activity that meets the definition of whistleblowing.

No one is saying you should not do your best to protect others. They are simply answering your question regarding your legal rights.

If you reveal your solution to your bosses, we don't know what will happen. Perhaps they will listen, implement your solutions, and you will be a hero. Perhaps they will ignore you and nothing at all will happen. Perhaps they will think you are being a knowitall and fire you for being a pain.

Good luck.

Pele2048

^

So what y'all are saying is that if they DO fire me or mess with me (Demotion, put me on an inconvenient shift, harassment, etc.) I have no recourse?

Forget it then.

If people have to die for me to get my bills paid, I'm okay with silence.

Beth3

So what y'all are saying is that if they DO fire me or mess with me (Demotion, put me on an inconvenient shift, harassment, etc.) I have no recourse?

This is taking a while to sink in with you. Yes, that is what we are saying because you have not indicated that any regulatory standards or laws have been violated by your employer. All you have said basically is that you have better ideas than the powers-that-be in your organization and that you think your suggestions should be implemented. That is not being a whistleblower.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">