• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-partner steals business; need advice please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

in_nyc

Hello- Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

I have recently received a letter from my (ex-)partner's lawyer which states my (ex-)partner no longer feels I should be part of the organization and I must give up everything I created to him immediately or be prosecuted for "theft" -- pretty heavy ;)

You should know the following (which is all well documented and can be backed up by several eye witnesses):
-The business and concept was my idea, dating back six years
-I have been involved in this business very publicly for four years, and built a solid reputation
-My partner was never in this field before I approached him, but he owned a building so I asked him to partner (January of this year)
-My partner would never sign a contract that spelled out responsibilities, so an official entity was never set up
-I personally set up all the business accounts (email, phone, etc) in my personal name and have been paying for it with my personal bank account
-I built and maintained the website
-I developed 100% of the name branding/identity
-I recruited all staff, advisers, partners
-I developed business plans, financial projections, project time lines
-My partner opened the doors and operated against my wishes, and without an official corporation set up
-My partner caused several delays which caused a negative affect on my reputation and the business mission
-I literally did all of the work

Since he owns the building (and is a lawyer), the cards are in his hands. And since this underhandedly and unethically "removed" me, all of the staff, advisers and partners have left as well. They are all willing to back me up, as well as possibly dozens of other eyewitnesses to testify and hundreds of emails exposing his ineptitude,

Now, do I have to hand over everything I worked for, paid for, developed and maintained? Especially since there was no official entity set up?

Thank you again.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

Hello- Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

I have recently received a letter from my (ex-)partner's lawyer which states my (ex-)partner no longer feels I should be part of the organization and I must give up everything I created to him immediately or be prosecuted for "theft" -- pretty heavy ;)

You should know the following (which is all well documented and can be backed up by several eye witnesses):
-The business and concept was my idea, dating back six years
-I have been involved in this business very publicly for four years, and built a solid reputation
-My partner was never in this field before I approached him, but he owned a building so I asked him to partner (January of this year)
-My partner would never sign a contract that spelled out responsibilities, so an official entity was never set up
-I personally set up all the business accounts (email, phone, etc) in my personal name and have been paying for it with my personal bank account
-I built and maintained the website
-I developed 100% of the name branding/identity
-I recruited all staff, advisers, partners
-I developed business plans, financial projections, project time lines
-My partner opened the doors and operated against my wishes, and without an official corporation set up
-My partner caused several delays which caused a negative affect on my reputation and the business mission
-I literally did all of the work

Since he owns the building (and is a lawyer), the cards are in his hands. And since this underhandedly and unethically "removed" me, all of the staff, advisers and partners have left as well. They are all willing to back me up, as well as possibly dozens of other eyewitnesses to testify and hundreds of emails exposing his ineptitude,

Now, do I have to hand over everything I worked for, paid for, developed and maintained? Especially since there was no official entity set up?

Thank you again.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: level the playing field.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">