• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother sold Dad's car without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smeghead1975

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana
A number of years ago my father gave my older brother his 1969 Mustang. The only provision was that it stays in the family. If my brother for whatever reason decided he did not want it anymore he had to give it back to my dad. My father never gave him the title or signed anything releasing his interest in the car and still has the original title. Problem is they both have the same name (jr & sr). We recently came to find out that junior obtained a duplicate copy of the title and then sold the car, claiming since it was in his name he had every right to sell it. What, if anything, can be done?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana
A number of years ago my father gave my older brother his 1969 Mustang. The only provision was that it stays in the family. If my brother for whatever reason decided he did not want it anymore he had to give it back to my dad. My father never gave him the title or signed anything releasing his interest in the car and still has the original title. Problem is they both have the same name (jr & sr). We recently came to find out that junior obtained a duplicate copy of the title and then sold the car, claiming since it was in his name he had every right to sell it. What, if anything, can be done?
Your dad could sue his son I suppose. Was the titled held as "Sr"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">