• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Offer Way Too Low

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djones30

My husband and I were injured (we both suffered back and migraines as a result of the auto accident), his car was totaled and we were not at fault. The other party was 100% at fault. Collectively we have about $12k in medical bills and expenses. We both sent separate letters to the insurance company for $20K for each claim, and received separate letters of $5K to "settle any and all claims" from the Insurance company. Is this for $5k apiece or combined? Since we both received letters from the insurance company for the same amount which does not even cover our expenses, I am confused.

I believe this offer is beyond insulting, I believe we should at the very least be made whole and should also receive a reasonable amount in general damages. We live in GA, what should be my next steps?

rowz

OK, the dance has begun.

It is time to stop fooling around and get a good n' nasty personal injury attorney to represent you.

Very often they will work on a contingency basis.
If you are lucky the attorney will be able to settle this out for a satisfactory sum.

The process can take well over a year to complete, often more.

Good luck.

Did the accident happen in Ga?
When did it happen?
Were you in your own car? and was your insurance active at the time?
How much are your med bills? And how have those bills been paid?
If you accept settlement, those and all future bills must be paid out of that settlement.

You Should never settle until you are sure that you have completely recovered. If you have future issues from the accident, then you will be responsible, not your med insuranse.
You should stop dealing with the at fault insurance company and only talk to your insurance company and your lawyer.

From what you have posted the at fault company is NOT going to take care of your needs. Lawyers generally take 1/3 of total settlements.
This generally gives you about 1/2 of the settlement after med bills and your lawyer about the same amount.
When you are dealing with an unreasonable ins co, lawyers are the only chance you have to get through this. Not all insurance companies are like that. But it is a throw of the dice and you lost.

My advice is to talk to a few lawyers and have them explain how all this works before deciding on reprsentation.

I hope it turns out OK for both of you.

ecmst12

Call the adjuster and make a counter offer. $20k for each of you is obviously way too high, it sounds like your injuries were quite minor, and $5k is too low. Now you negotiate and settle somewhere in the middle. Or, you get a lawyer who will take 1/3 of everything....which may not be worth it given the size of the claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">