• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Detained at friend's apt. Pot found but he owned it. They let me go, am I in trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

endulla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iillinois

So I have a friend that always gets large amount of marijuana. Anyways he had to call the police regarding a vandalism issue with a fire extinguisher being blown in his window. Several days later police returned to his apartment (possibly because they knew, maybe to further investigate the vandalism) and he let them in like a fool. Me and another one of my friends were still asleep and were woken up by police. They said they smelled weed and wanted to search the place, but the owner initially said no.

At this time both of us (non-owners) were told we were being detained (he specified not under arrest), and taken out into the hallway while they interrogated the apartment owner. For the next 5 or so minutes they kept us there where we could hear everything. My friend was talked into signing a search consent form and they found his weed. I don't know how much it was, only that it is high quality and over a quarter pound. After this point in time they moved us outside and we no longer had any clue what was going on.

I assume my friend was man enough to own up what was his because 10 or so minutes later a police officer came out and told us we were free to go. We were never given any details as to what was found, and they really weren't asking us any related questions, simply small talk. I assume that this means we are in the clear? We were given NO details about anything and given NO tickets and NO verbal prompts that we were getting charged with anything. I don't even live in Illinois I just visit my friend sometimes as we were best friends in high school before he moved over to Illinois.

I don't care if my name goes down as being there, so long as I don't pay some penalty for something that was not mine. Please refrain from comments about finding better friends. I understand all of my mistakes and I have tried in the past to aid my friend out of "the game."

I feel that I am safe from this situation as my friend was willing to admit it was his. I don't see how they would have let us go without anything happening if we were in any trouble. I didn't even have my ID and when I gave my name no one bothered to question whether I was telling the truth...which I assume means it really didn't matter.

Thanks and I greatly appreciate any answer. BTW I am 18 years of age.

justalayman

I guess you will have to wait the year or so before knowing if they are going to bring any charges against you or not. For all I know, your friend might be turning on you and saying you brought the pot to him so he can get a lesser sentence.

You'll just have to wait it out.

endulla

Kind of hard to ask him what he said when I haven't seen him since the incident this morning. I did hear from the hallway him claiming that it is ALL his. And I am confident enough to say 100% that my friend would not turn on us.

And the reason I assumed was because they came out and just told us to leave, never searched our persons or cars, it seemed as though they didn't consider us to be involved.

It is worth mentioning (forgot) that this occurred at around 9:30 AM and morning is the most common time to knock and talks, raids, whatever. So I think there is a potential they knew he was a dealer and were there solely to arrest him.

Edit: Forgot to address another question that was asked. I was not asked for anything besides my name. They asked for it while on the phone so I think they may have been checking for priors (none visible).

This whole situation has caused me a lot of well deserved trauma today and through hours of looking at my wall thinking I really think that I never want to place myself in a situation like that again. I really am not that frequent of a smoker, I simply hang out with this kid as a friend...but it has become obvious the 2 can't really be viewed separately.

Last edited:

justalayman

..but it has become obvious the 2 can't really be viewed separately.
we have an epiphany.
---------------------------------------------

birds of a feather flock together

when one guy pees in the pool, everybody smells like pee

you are judged by the company you keep

endulla

Well under a 100% chance my friend said nothing to incriminate me, is there ANY closure on this matter? I really don't see how they would have me in line for some giant conviction when they didn't even verify my name.

BTW forgot to thank you for the prompt and information packed replies. I really would HATE for this to put a blemish on my record when I have stayed darn near straight my entire life.

Last edited:

justalayman

your friend could have verified your name. Your friend could be setting in the interrogation room right now squealing on you in an attempt to lessen his charges.

there is no closure on the matter. You can live your life wondering if the cops are going to pounce from around the corner or live your life with the idea nothing will come of it. There is no way for us to tell you which is closer to what will actually happen.

I would suggest you are in the clear but there really isn't any way to know for sure.

endulla

Fair enough. Well I respect that you can't be sure but I am positive my friend didn't squeal. I am satisfied with the replies and I say thank you very much sir for replying so fast this was essentially a conversation.

Probably will revisit this a few times but won't be e-stalking it any longer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">