• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

freight forwarder with misplaced package

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alicehome

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland MD

Hi All,

I have got a situation at hand, and an advise as to what actions to take will be greatly appreciated. I dropped off some items at the office of a freight forwarder about two months ago, with the intentions of having them shipped overseas, but i did not have the package insured. Now, while in transit in Europe, the package got misplaced as my package is yet to be delivered two months after dropping off, and cargo airline has acknowledge that package has not been found.

Now, i have requested that the freight forwarder (FF) return my package or its monetary value, and they claim to have filed for claims with the cargo airline. The airline demanded for receipts. I was able to provide some of the receipts as the bulk of the items were brand new, but some were gifts items(also brand new) to be sent overseas and receipts were not available. The FF is saying the airline claims they can not address items without receipts.

When i purchased those items prices were kinda low. Items now cannot be found/available at my preferred retail store, while other retailers currently have them with significant price difference. I have told FF to take cognizance of current retail value of items i dropped off, but their response has been neither them nor airline considers such logic.

The items i dropped off run into thousands of dollars and i was able to provide about 80% of receipts for items i dropped off. BTW, items were mainly electronics

my questions are:

1. Would it be appropriate to demand that FF pays current retail value of Items
2. Would it be appropriate to demand also that FF refunds the shipping cost i paid, as my package was never delivered
3. Is there a timeline associated with cases like this, within which concerned party must act
4. Can i legally demand for a refund considering the fact that my package was not insured.
5. What happens to items without receipts
6. What percentage can i realistically expect to get back as refund.
7. What options are available legally

This case is clearly a case of negligence on the part of the airline as reported to me by FF. A staff signed off the package as dispatched but recipients at destination claim never to have gotten the items. What i mean is, it was still within same organization(cargo airline), but their corresponding officers in country of destination denied taking custody of an entire shipment. For several weeks they claim to have been carrying out a search, but it's over two months now since i dropped off the items. My intended recipients are yet to take custody of the package i sent, neither has the package been returned. About a month ago, the officer in charge of the case within the airline was said to be away, a month now either same officer or person who relieved the officer in charge is being said to have just gone on leave again. Not sure how to reconcile reports i have been getting from FF. I am constantly being harassed by my destined recipients, as package has not been delivered for months now. My integrity is being questioned, as possible explanations as to how the goods where misplaced do not sound reasonable enough to them. I have had two previous shipments with the FF, until the current incident occurred.

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I really hope this wasn't too long. tanx!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">