• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

110 in a 65

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

95bmw325is

I live in PA. I was caught driving 110 in a 65. I am only 16. The officer couldn't tell me how much the fine would be or if I would lose my license. Does anyone know either of those answers?

FlyingRon

Never take legal advice from a cop.
What were you charged with? Pennsylvania doesn't really differentiate much between 65 and 110 on a regular speeding ticket (though the fine goes up $2 per mile per hour over). Reckless Driving starts out as a higher fine but it's still just a summary offense (and doesn't have the by the mile per hour over surcharge). There's a mandatory 90 day suspension for this.

You're lucky you're not down here in Virginia. You'd get reckless driving ( a misdemeanor) and over 100 is a guaranteed few days in jail in most jurisdictions.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Never take legal advice from a cop.
What were you charged with? Pennsylvania doesn't really differentiate much between 65 and 110 on a regular speeding ticket (though the fine goes up $2 per mile per hour over). Reckless Driving starts out as a higher fine but it's still just a summary offense (and doesn't have the by the mile per hour over surcharge). There's a mandatory 90 day suspension for this.

You're lucky you're not down here in Virginia. You'd get reckless driving ( a misdemeanor) and over 100 is a guaranteed few days in jail in most jurisdictions.
If he were in 'Bama, they'd ignore him like they do the rest of the blatant violators. Guess they all think they're driving at 'Dega. :rolleyes:

Maestro64

You better hirer a lawyer, most likely you will now be without your license until your 18 in PA. Beside having to go to court, there will be an administrative hearing with PennDOT on how long your license will be suspend. In PA the court can not suspend your license on PennDOT so there will be a second hearing on this case. They could charge you with 3367 or racing on a highway so this can get really bad for you.

Here is some reading for you

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter65.pdf
http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/pub472.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">