• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will i qualify for UC benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spottyruss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have worked for the same nursing home for 17 years--the last three days i have come home in tears due to being reprimanded for three days in a row for things that i have not done. i had to go to the dr yesterday who diagnosed me with depression and anxiety due to my work situation. I am expecting to be reprimanded when i go back to work for being off sick even with a dr note--i don't even want to go back--i have major anxiety even thinking about it. i have been there for 17 years and have seen what they do to people--certain people only--they have at least two to three claims opened up against them every week and i am not kidding. i am also the sole support of my family--i am not a bum looking to collect for the rest of my life--i have already filled out applications elsewhere. i am just afraid to go back there for fear i will just have a nervous breakdown--i just want to know what my next step should be--i am a nurse and hold a PA license which i am proud of--they constantly threaten turning your license into the board of nursing if you make a "mistake" meaning give them any talk back--how do i handle the process and the hearing

pattytx

Not sure exactly what you're looking for. A doctor's note has no force of law unless FMLA is involved.

Apparently you were suspended?

spottyruss

no not suspended yet--probably if i go back to work on monday i will be--even with a dr note. i would like to just voluntarily quit due to health reasons and personal problems--i just want to make sure i do it so the i can qualify for uc benefits when i have the hearing. I cannot handle it anymore mentally there

pattytx

If you voluntarily quit, you almost certainly won't get unemployment benefits. Your depression and anxiety cannot be totally caused by your job, especially since you say you have "personal problems".

If you return to work and are fired, you at least have a chance for benefits. If you quit, your chances are virtually nil.

However, now that you have a diagnosis, are you in treatment? Medication, psychotherapy? What does your doctor recommend? Time off, all at one time, or intermittently?

How many employees does your employer have in total? At least 15?

And how many employees at your job location or within a 75-mile radius of your job location? At least 50?

spottyruss

i am scheduled to go back to work on Monday per dr note--what if i don't report for work or what if i don't report and say that i am unable to due to the stress and anxiety that i am experiencing. it is mainly the anxiety and depression caused by my work situation that is causing this--do i tell them about what the dr said or keep that to myself

if i do not show up for work for three days they will terminate me

spottyruss

MY doctor has prescribed anti anxiety and antidepressants which i started taking today.

we have about 129 employees many of which live 5 to 30 miles away

pattytx

Show up for work. Seriously. Not showing up could be considered job abandonment and you're not going to have a chance in h-e-double hockey sticks of getting unemployment if you just don't show up.

OK, so there are more than 50 employees at your job location, correct? Where they live is irrelevant.

I'm trying to help you here, but I need the answers to the questions I asked previously. I'm not trying to be nosy.

spottyruss

sorry about my scatterbrain--this is very upsetting to me.

about 100 employees live in a 75 mile radius
my doctor gave me medication--he also wrote in my medical record that the depression and anxiety was due to constant reprimands and write ups
Doctor gave me two days off then back to work on Monday

i have given 17 years to this place and all of a sudden i have turned into a piece of garbage. they have so many claims opened up against them that they have a specific case worker just for the facility.. does it have any weight that i am the sole support for my family

Last edited:

spottyruss

i am so afraid that if i go back and and reprimanded again that i am just going to have a stroke or heart attack that is how upset i get when this happens
they see how upset i get and maybe they are looking for me just to crack and leave so they don't have to pay me UC

csi7

Take a deep breath. Relax.
When you go into work Monday, stay calm. Do your best. Keep your logbooks accurate. Keep track of what you are doing. Smile, and be positive.

spottyruss

I have to give them the dr note to return to work--should i put in writing why i went to him and what he stated in my chart--i don,t want to give them anything they really shouldn't have

pattytx

No, not at this point.

I didn't say LIVE, I said WORK.

And if you don't answer my questions, I can't help you any further. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm not a dentist--I don't pull teeth.

spottyruss

Could you please give me the questions again i guess i am either that upset or just plain stupid and i will answer them as best i can

you asked
And how many employees at your job location or within a 75-mile radius of your job location? At least 50?
my answer was 100

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">