• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

firing a food handler for being sick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kemperz

Hi there I work as a chef in a restaurant in british columbia cananda, my question is that
I took a couple of days off in the last couple of months for being sick, I didn't bring a
doctors note as it wasn't requested, and now my boss wants to fire me, I'm a food handler
and isn't it illegal to handle food while ill, if so wouldn't it be illegal for my boss to fire me
for being sick? I called in before my shift and let them know and it seemed fine untill now,
do I have any rights? Thank you

Antigone*

Hi there I work as a chef in a restaurant in british columbia cananda, my question is that
I took a couple of days off in the last couple of months for being sick, I didn't bring a
doctors note as it wasn't requested, and now my boss wants to fire me, I'm a food handler
and isn't it illegal to handle food while ill, if so wouldn't it be illegal for my boss to fire me
for being sick? I called in before my shift and let them know and it seemed fine untill now,
do I have any rights? Thank you
Hey, did the United States get bigger:confused::confused:

Where the heck was I when that happened:eek::mad:

Antigone*

Is this forum for the US only? If so any advice would be appreciated anyway.
You deleted the first line of the post that was meant to be a BIG clue for you. What is the name of your state (US Law Only).

My advice to you is to learn to follow directions.:cool:

pattytx

Darn canadians can't read!!!!!:p
Oh, are you gonna pay for THAT! :D

In deference to eerelations, she does have Candian employment law knowledge, but that doesn't stop people from ignoring the U.S. LAW ONLY disclaimer.

eerelations

kemperz, if you haven't left altogether as a result of Isis1's incredibly stupid comment, here's your answer:

You're right, your employer can't legally fire you for being sick. However, your employer can legally fire you for being off work. If your employer fires you for being off work because you were sick, your employer must give you working notice and/or pay in lieu of notice comprised of at least one week's worth for each consecutive full year of your employment with that employer.

This is in accordance with Canadian/British Columbia employment law. Had you been in the US, my answer would have been quite different and much less favourable to you. In other words, asking for legal advice from American legal experts would not have gotten you anything useful; you're just lucky I happen to be here to help out.

mlane58

My wife is French Canadian and I don't hold that against her, althougth after 32 years maybe I should.

eerelations

And don't be so freakin' sensitive. Don't you know a joke when you hear one? :rolleyes:
I don't see any jokes in Isis1's comment. If it was a joke, she would have said so, ergo, since she hasn't, it's obviously not a joke. And you know as well as anyone else here that nine out of ten of the nasty anti-Canadian hate comments made on these boards are perfectly serious - the odds are this one's no different.

mlane58

I don't see any jokes in Isis1's comment. If it was a joke, she would have said so, ergo, since she hasn't, it's obviously not a joke. And you know as well as anyone else here that nine out of ten of the nasty anti-Canadian hate comments made on these boards are perfectly serious - the odds are this one's no different.
Oh brother! So anyone who says anything has to state it's a joke for it to be, so you won't get mad and stomp your feet? Grow up! if you can't see she was kidding, then you have bigger issues to deal with.

Some Random Guy

And you know as well as anyone else here that nine out of ten of the nasty anti-Canadian hate comments made on these boards are perfectly serious
I find that incredibly hard to believe since I have made fun of Canadians on several occasions and have not once in my life found any actual reason to hate them. The worst thing i can really say about canadians is that they are too gosh darned polite.

pattytx

That's what the :p smiley meant. Lighten up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">