• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on bad citation: Failure to obey a regulatory sign by parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adam_12

Update on locked thread:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/speeding-other-moving-violations-13/advice-wierd-ticket-ca-21461-no-parking-498571.html

First- this was a MOVING VIOLATION, so it is in this forum.

This has been a long road- Cited December 2009, final decision 8 months later, July 26, 2010

I was cited for failure to obey a regulatory sign... for stopping off a deserted freeway onramp (not on the freeway) in the middle of the day to rest my eyes and drink a diet coke. Cop rolled up and hassled me, ('you could have parked on the county road you crossed over') I had an attitude (I said "the road wasn't plowed, there was NO place to park!") and he wrote me.

Filed a TBD. Exhaustive and persuasive, citing a 'defense of necessity' (By pulling off and standing to rest I was avoding a greater problem- an accident due to nodding off) as well as a solid argument that 21461(b) explicitly excludes a citation for any parking offense. I had CVC text cited, pages from the MUTCD that defined the signs I was accused of violating as "parking signs", pictures, etc.

Guilty. I assume the court failed to read this- which is rumored to be that courts standard procedure.

Proceeded to trial de novo.

No need for discovery, etc. Although the court has refused to provide the officers 235- I'm thinking of pressing for this under FOI, just for S&G.

This court is blatantly 'pro law enforcement'. I sat through 9 cases in which the 'judge' took considerable care to elicit testimony from LEOs in order to cement his future findings of guilt. Anything an LEO said was true, any testimony from the accused was dismissed. (Of course morons defending themselves were no help)...Two attorneys I spoke to agreed with this assessment of this particular court.

I presented my argument(s). The judge said 'I see no defense of necessity', deciding that where I parked (on a deserted off ramp over 6 feet from the traffic lane with nobody having passed over it during the entire time we were there) was still a 'hazardous location'.

However the officer testified that I was parked at a "Emergency Parking Only" sign. Despite photographs that showed no parking signs, he said he cited me for being parked at the emergency sign. (I think the officer sensed that the whole 'parking thing' was maybe going to be a problem, so when I asked him to point to the signs in the MUTCD that I violated, he refused to ID the parking sign- even though it stated "No Parking" (in quotes) on my ticket. I think he thought he could steer it to a hazard/emergency question by insisting the only sign was the "Emergency Parking Only" (No such luck, this is an R8 series parking sign, defined in the MUTCD as enforced by CVC 22505.)

I entered the MUTCD Figure 2B-17 which lists this sign as an "R 8 series" sign. I read the section of the MUTCD which (2B39) which describes the authority to place no parkign signs and states these are '22500 series' in the CVC.

Judge was not happy at the end, and said he wanted to take this under advisement. He promised a response "next week". In actual fact he took three weeks.

A short decision:

"Officer testified that I parked at an Emergency Parking Sign"

"Mr Adam_12 testified that he did not deny parking, but that this is not a violation of 21461(a)."

The decision goes on to state that "CVC 21461(a) does not apply to acts constituting a violation under CVC 22500-22526..... Mr. Adam_12 violated 22505(b) but did not violate 21461(a) and is therefore not guilty".

cdwjava- turns out it WAS a bad cite after all....this was not a technicality, nor a judge making a 'mistake'... it was an officer wasting taxpayer money.

A

PS What is very interesting it this- my TBD was precisely this same argument- 9 pages, cross referencing the VC and MUTCD- yet this same judge found me guilty! It points out, IMHO, that many courts ignore the TBD and just rubber stamp every one guilty....

Last edited:

Good job Adam_12. You did your homework and it paid off. It's easy to give up, but you saw it through all the way and made that judge suck it up. And you ignored the peanut gallery telling you you wouldn't win. Kudos!

CdwJava

What is an officer's "235"?

Well, good for you - you prevailed. I can't recall the original allegation and defense argument, but, okay, the court agreed with you. Bully for you! It seems you got lucky and the officer cited you for the wrong section. Maybe he will learn from that as well and learn to cite the correct section.

Congrats.

EDIT: Okay ... that is in reference to the TR-235 - the officer's written declaration in the TBWD. Okay ... I was confused on that one ... I have never heard it referred to by number.

adam_12

It seems you got lucky and the officer cited you for the wrong section. Maybe he will learn from that as well and learn to cite the correct section.
1. Previously you refused to consider it was a possibility the officer had made a mistake. I bring this up because at the time I felt it was an intellectually dishonest position to take. People make mistakes. Man up and move on. To play this game that somehow there is no right and wrong, but rather whatever the judge decides is again, intellectually lazy and dishonest. IMO. (Particularly when you are quick to pass judgment on a civilians guilt or innocence on these forums...)

2. Had he cited me for the correct code- a parking violation- I'd have paid the $221 and moved on- maybe a TBN- but F-it, not worth my time. However, as a moving violation (21461(a)) with one point I'd have taken this to appeals.

CdwJava

1. Previously you refused to consider it was a possibility the officer had made a mistake. I bring this up because at the time I felt it was an intellectually dishonest position to take. People make mistakes. Man up and move on. To play this game that somehow there is no right and wrong, but rather whatever the judge decides is again, intellectually lazy and dishonest. IMO. (Particularly when you are quick to pass judgment on a civilians guilt or innocence on these forums...)
Consider it as you will. As I recall I felt it was a possible argument that could be made. Many code sections are subjective and not well-defined in the law, and many code sections overlap. And, yes, whatever the judge decides is the ruling. It may not be pretty, but unless overturned on appeal, that is the way it is.

Of course there is right and wrong, but in some instances code sections do not fall neatly into such a category. Plus, when evaluating a situation from a distance and without the benefit of the totality of the scene is fraught with pitfalls.

As I said, bully for you on your win.

The Occultist

adam, congrats on your victory, but I will request that you lay off Carl. I understand that you feel cheated by the seemingly one-sided advice you received from him, but I think it is safe to say that nobody has helped more people on this forum than Carl. As you said, people make mistakes, and if Carl truly did make a mistake, then...man up and move on. :)

adam_12

As I said, bully for you on your win.
adam, congrats on your victory, but I will request that you lay off Carl. I understand that you feel cheated by the seemingly one-sided advice you received from him, but I think it is safe to say that nobody has helped more people on this forum than Carl. As you said, people make mistakes, and if Carl truly did make a mistake, then...man up and move on. :)
Fair enough, I'll lay off. (But if I may, I'll point out that "bully for you" is an entirely different meaning that "congrats to you" or even "good to you".... in my book....)

I've seen and read hundreds of Carl's posts here and on expertlaw, and agree he has had a lot of input..."help", I am not sure- although I will agree that having an LEO input, biased as it may be, is essential in determining one's strategy.

Thanks Carl

Adam

adam_12

Stating a sign was there that was not??? I would be at the DAs office
No, not quite. Since the charge was 'failure to obey a regulatory sign', i asked 'what sign was it that I failed to obey?".

(Previously we had established there were two no parking signs in a photograph, and at that time he testified there was an Emergency parking sign that was not visible.

When I pressed on why was I cited, he insisted it was only the Emergency sign that he felt I disobeyed. (This after I had already explained that 21461(b) excludes a "parking violation" from 21461(a)... I assume the officer, in an attempt to rescue the case, did not want to say "it was a no parking sign". He wanted to make it seem like it was an emergency issue....He didnt realize that an Emergency Parking Only sign is the same- from a Cal MUTCD perspective- as a no parking sign.) His assertion that "I cited you for the Emergency Sign" was testimony on his thoughts at the time, so he was free to create whatever 'truth' he wished...

He was very careful not to lie, but there were a few places where he was clearly trying to 'bend' the picture. (ie "snow on the ground", true- but no snow on the road....stuff like that.)

A

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">