• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA - Speeding Ticket - 1st Ever Today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twilite

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello All!

I have lived in San Diego for 10+ years now and I got my first speeding ticket this morning. :(

I have never had a moving violation (or any other violation for that matter) in CA but this morning I was in a rush to get to work and decided to drive a little faster than normal. While driving on State Highway 163 I was pulled over for speeding. :eek:

I ended up getting a ticket for doing 84 in a 65. The ticket lists the violation as a "Not Correctable" 22349 followed by something illegible in parenthesis, I believe it is (A). The 'I' is circled to indicate an Infraction rather than a Misdemeanor. The "Speed Approx." box lists 84 and the "P.F. / Max Spd" box has Max Spd circled along with the speed limit of 65. Finally, the "Special" box contains the number 99.

Couple of questions:

When the police officer first approached my window he asked me how fast I thought I was driving. I told him (honestly) somewhere in the low 80s. Why do you think he asked me that? Was he fishing for an admission of guilt or do you think he was just trying to see if I was an honest person?

How much money do you think my total fine will be, not including traffic court?

The officer stated that I can have the points removed if I attend traffic school. Any ideas as to how much this will cost me? Can anyone recommend a good online traffic school?

If I have the points removed does this mean that my auto insurance company will not be notified?

Since this is a non-correctable offense I assume that traffic school will not "correct" the violation, only remove the points. Is correcting a speeding violation similar to having something such as a felony expunged from your record?

And finally, what does the 99 mean in the "Special" box?

Thank you and sorry for all the questions on my first post. :D

Twilite

Oh and by the way. No matter what happens I am never rude to police officers. I am always polite. Police officers put their lives on the line every day for us. I like to think of it like this. If I was in serious danger for whatever reason this person would put their life on the line for me. And after all, he wasn't the one doing 84 in a 65. :D

Last edited:

adam_12

Sounds like you don't want to contest this, so I won't go down that path. if you wanted to fight it, or at the very least make the state prove their case, you can do that. But you'll need to make that decision.

To your questions:

He was asking you ONLY so that he could say, at trial, "the driver admitted he was speeding". In traffic court the officers word is absolute, so they want to be able to say you admitted to it.

Insurance companies are finding ways to discover if you've been cited, not just if you have points.

If you take school they will remove the points from your record. It is NOT like a felony, it is nothing...just influences your driving license and insurance rates.

"Correctable" is stuff like "no front plate" or "tint on windows"..if you fix these, you can go back ti the police station, have it inspected, and then take it to court and get it reduced or eliminated.

I admire your blind respect for all police officers. You've led a charmed life. After an officer wrongly cites you, hassles you, lies in court, etc, etc... then you can re-think that relationship. Too bad a few can soil the uniform.

A

twilite

Sounds like you don't want to contest this, so I won't go down that path. if you wanted to fight it, or at the very least make the state prove their case, you can do that. But you'll need to make that decision.

To your questions:

He was asking you ONLY so that he could say, at trial, "the driver admitted he was speeding". In traffic court the officers word is absolute, so they want to be able to say you admitted to it.

Insurance companies are finding ways to discover if you've been cited, not just if you have points.

If you take school they will remove the points from your record. It is NOT like a felony, it is nothing...just influences your driving license and insurance rates.

"Correctable" is stuff like "no front plate" or "tint on windows"..if you fix these, you can go back ti the police station, have it inspected, and then take it to court and get it reduced or eliminated.

I admire your blind respect for all police officers. You've led a charmed life. After an officer wrongly cites you, hassles you, lies in court, etc, etc... then you can re-think that relationship. Too bad a few can soil the uniform.

A
Thank you very much for the responses!

No, I don't plan on contesting the ticket unless I can be convinced otherwise.

And yes, perhaps I am a bit blind in my respect. I have never had a bad experience with a police officer. Maybe I have led a sheltered life. Maybe a boring life. Or maybe I am just lucky. One thing I can say for sure is that I am not one of those people who are always bitter, or who are always fishing for a way to get around the system. Sure there are a few people out there that have had an unfortunate run-in with a bad cop. And that's a shame. But for the most part people with bad experiences tend to bring them on themselves.

(I am in no way stating this about you. It's more of a general assumption.)

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

adam_12

No, I don't plan on contesting the ticket unless I can be convinced otherwise.

..... I am not one of those people ...who are always fishing for a way to get around the system.
So you are not always fishing for a way to get around the system, but if there is a chance it would work for this one we might convince you?

:cool:

I know, I've taken your comments a bit out of context, but it still seemed a strange string of comments.

Best of luck,

;)

A

twilite

So you are not always fishing for a way to get around the system, but if there is a chance it would work for this one we might convince you?
Funny thing.... when I got home after getting the ticket I did a Google search to try and find out how much the ticket will cost. The search results were FULL of spamware saying "we can help you get out of the ticket," blah blah blah.. It seems this is a huge industy.

So when you say "we" it makes me wonder. Are you in the business of getting people out of tickets or are you doing this just to be a good neighbor? :)

Thanks!

adam_12

Funny thing.... when I got home after getting the ticket I did a Google search to try and find out how much the ticket will cost. The search results were FULL of spamware saying "we can help you get out of the ticket," blah blah blah.. It seems this is a huge industy.

So when you say "we" it makes me wonder. Are you in the business of getting people out of tickets or are you doing this just to be a good neighbor? :)

Thanks!
1. "Spamware" ? Do you know what spamware really is? Or do you just mean advertisements?

2. I do this for entertainment and sport. I am not in this business, industry nor am I involved in this process professionally.

A

PS Might I point out that this concept if "people should do the right thing and not fight tickets" could be taken to the extreme of "people should do the right thing and, when they violate a law, they should turn themselves in and voluntarily pay the fine, without having to be cited". Philosophically one is as defensible as the other. IMO

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">