• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why do I need a Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevelle70ss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Good afternoon,
My mother just passed away a few months ago she had all her wits about her. I was executor since 2000 I'm an only child & got the house & some insurance money. I'm single & the only one I have is my German Shepherd I have one uncle & one aunt these are the only two relatives I have since I never knew my fathers side of the family.
My uncle took over & took care of all the paper work since he was a CPA. He told me it was very important for me to make out a Will. So instead of using my mothers lawyer he used his. From what I see if anything should happen to me his sons. I have no problem with this but it is moving very fast & really not knowing this stuff I'm lost.
Here is what I would like to know there is another sheet that is about 10 pages long which states that my uncle if I sign it would be Power of Attorney from what I understand & have been told this means he controlls everything without me having a say!.
I really don't understand why I need a power of attorney there is nothing wrong with me I have been paying the bills for as long as I can remember.
I was never power of attorney over my mother just executor I could not touch her bank account or sell anything of hers. This paper says my uncle can without me knowing.
So my question is why do I need Power of Attorney? is this normal? I can see if I could not make decisions but that is not the case. I just don't understand this if someone could explain it this would be very helpful?
I'm sorry for being so dumb but I have been told by friends not to sign it.
Thank you!
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">