• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kyleslove

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

My employer recently fired a coworker of mine and threatened to terminate me because of a facebook thread we had. Her original correspondence was made on company time, but my responses were made on my own time, and the subject content was not work related. Both she and I have nothing in our records for poor work performance, and in fact, I just got an excellent evaluation. How can an employer fire someone over this when it was on my own personal time and was in not work related?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

My employer recently fired a coworker of mine and threatened to terminate me because of a facebook thread we had. Her original correspondence was made on company time, but my responses were made on my own time, and the subject content was not work related. Both she and I have nothing in our records for poor work performance, and in fact, I just got an excellent evaluation. How can an employer fire someone over this when it was on my own personal time and was in not work related?
Credit to a good friend ~ They can fire you for wearing green shoes if they like.;)

If they do, file for unemployment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How can an employer fire someone over this when it was on my own personal time and was in not work related?

Because there is no law that says they can't. Google at-will employment.

Beth3

If they were going to terminate you, I expect they would have already - at the same time they fired her. Your co-worker was fired for using the employer's IT system for personal purposes and doing so on company time. You, fortunately, are not in the same boat. Chances are your employer recognizes this (a search of your computer logs presumably demonstrated you did not log onto facebook while at work.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">