• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone please help me out?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heatdepot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Few months ago, my car was struck and totalled. I suffered some injuries, nothing major.

I ended up obtaining a lawyer and signed a contingency agreement where it states "NO FEES IF NO RECOVERY." They also told me I need to see a chiropractor because that's how they make their money. So I agreed to go and they set me up with a chiropractor.

Few months later, lawyer suddenly drops my case and the only way I found out was the doctor's office called to say my lawyer told them that they were no longer authorized to treat me.

I then received a bill from the chirorpractor for $2000!!!!!!! Am I responsible for this bill even though it was the lawyer who talked me in to going then dropped me??????

I would NEVER have gone because I don't have any money and the injuries were not serious. I could deal with some pain it wasn't a huge deal. They just talked me in to it by saying they couldn't take the case unless I went.

I did sign a "DOCTOR'S LIEN" which I admit did not understand what it meant. I was told no fees at all from the lawyer so I didn't question it.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Few months ago, my car was struck and totalled. I suffered some injuries, nothing major.

I ended up obtaining a lawyer and signed a contingency agreement where it states "NO FEES IF NO RECOVERY." They also told me I need to see a chiropractor because that's how they make their money. So I agreed to go and they set me up with a chiropractor.

Few months later, lawyer suddenly drops my case and the only way I found out was the doctor's office called to say my lawyer told them that they were no longer authorized to treat me.

I then received a bill from the chirorpractor for $2000!!!!!!! Am I responsible for this bill even though it was the lawyer who talked me in to going then dropped me??????

I would NEVER have gone because I don't have any money and the injuries were not serious. I could deal with some pain it wasn't a huge deal. They just talked me in to it by saying they couldn't take the case unless I went.

I did sign a "DOCTOR'S LIEN" which I admit did not understand what it meant. I was told no fees at all from the lawyer so I didn't question it.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pay the doctor. You owe for the services you received.

If you were dumb enough to sign something you don't understand then you have no one but yourself to blame.

Heatdepot

But what about the lawyer telling me I had to see the doctor? And why would the lawyer tell the doctor they are no longer authorized to treat me if they weren't paying for it themselves???????

Plus I provided my health insurance to them, so why not get the money from Blue Cross????

I think this is total BS that the lawyer tells me to go then passes the bill to me after saying no fees whatsoever!

Proserpina

But what about the lawyer telling me I had to see the doctor? And why would the lawyer tell the doctor they are no longer authorized to treat me if they weren't paying for it themselves???????

Plus I provided my health insurance to them, so why not get the money from Blue Cross????

I think this is total BS that the lawyer tells me to go then passes the bill to me after saying no fees whatsoever!

The attorney's agreement likely was very specific - no ATTORNEY fees.

I bet my last cent that it says nothing about you not being responsible for third-party fees....

You owe the money.

Heatdepot

If I have to pay it, can I sue the other driver for it in Small Claims Court?

I tried getting other lawyers to take over my case but they say $2000 medical bill isn't large enough to make it worthwhile for them. Go figure!

Also, if small claims doesn't work out, can I file bankruptcy or are medical bills not dischargeable?

Damn..... my ex-lawyer completely screwed me!!!!!!!

Proserpina

If I have to pay it, can I sue the other driver for it in Small Claims Court?

Yes. Whether or not you'll be successful is anyone's guess.

I tried getting other lawyers to take over my case but they say $2000 medical bill isn't large enough to make it worthwhile for them. Go figure!
They're right - although it's a large amount to you, it's small change for most personal injury attorneys.

Also, if small claims doesn't work out, can I file bankruptcy or are medical bills not dischargeable?

Damn..... my ex-lawyer completely screwed me!!!!!!!

If you have a lot more debt in addition to the medical bills, bk is certainly an option because medical bills are very commonly discharged. However I wouldn't advise filing bk over $2k.

Your ex attorney didn't screw you - sorry, but he didn't. You've got to read every last word of any contract before you sign it; again I'm willing to bet that this was pretty clearly spelled out.

ecmst12

You can file a claim for your injuries yourself with the driver's insurance. But since you've admitted you had treatment you didn't need, don't be surprised if they don't give you very much. And don't start multiple threads on the same situation!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">