• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Background Check & Credit Card Settlements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SkyMaster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

I was just offered a job as a contractor to the FDIC to work on computers in banks.

The company that is hiring me needs to do a Security Background Check. In the interview, they said a bankruptcy will disqualify you. I do not have any bankruptcies in my past. But I do have credit cards that went to collections and were paid in settlement. And one of those credit cards is currently suing me for another $2000.

Now what I am worried about is, will the credit cards that I paid in settlement, disqualify me? Also, would this current credit card case disqualify me? If so, do you have any advice as to what to do?

pattytx

We have no idea what the company will do, but legally, they could refuse to hire based on this information.

Does the job require handling of funds? Will you need to be bonded.

However, generally speaking, the Bankruptcy Code prohibits adverse employment action because you have filed for bankruptcy (just for info, I understand you have not).

st-kitts

If the security check you speak of is in fact processing for a security clearance, then poor credit could be a factor that might result in denial of a security clearance. There is really nothing to do at this point, except maybe keep your resume up to date, be prepared to show why your finances are in control now and be ready to explain the reason they were not in the past.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">