• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket Improperly Filled Out?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KrsitaTG

I was issued a speeding ticket this past Friday while riding my motorcycle. I know I was speeding (I opened it up on an entrance ramp to a highway only to see a cop sitting ahead of it waiting). My question is, do I have any case if the ticket is missing any information?

The cop did not ask for my insurance, which I thought was weird. Then when I got the ticket, it says "Suzi" for the bike's make (Suzuki), which is correct. The model simply says "Bike." It's specifically a GSXR-600 and clearly says so all over the sides of my bike. And for color, nothing is listed. I don't have the ticket or my license plate number infront of me to verify, but the plate number also seemed off when I first looked at the ticket.

I've had my fair share of tickets over the years and almost always end up paying them rather than contesting them out of sheer lack of time and patience, but in my reseach years ago while preparing to fight a ticket, I was fairly certain I came across something that said if anything was invalid on this ticket, the case could be dismissed if I went to court.

Could someone advise me on this situation?

seniorjudge

I was issued a speeding ticket this past Friday while riding my motorcycle. I know I was speeding (I opened it up on an entrance ramp to a highway only to see a cop sitting ahead of it waiting). My question is, do I have any case if the ticket is missing any information?

The cop did not ask for my insurance, which I thought was weird. Then when I got the ticket, it says "Suzi" for the bike's make (Suzuki), which is correct. The model simply says "Bike." It's specifically a GSXR-600 and clearly says so all over the sides of my bike. And for color, nothing is listed. I don't have the ticket or my license plate number infront of me to verify, but the plate number also seemed off when I first looked at the ticket.

I've had my fair share of tickets over the years and almost always end up paying them rather than contesting them out of sheer lack of time and patience, but in my reseach years ago while preparing to fight a ticket, I was fairly certain I came across something that said if anything was invalid on this ticket, the case could be dismissed if I went to court.

Could someone advise me on this situation?

None of the following has anything to do with the speed you were driving:

KrsitaTG

Again, the question is: If there is invalid and/or missing information on this ticket, is it possible that it could be dismissed. The speed is not the issue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Again, the question is: If there is invalid and/or missing information on this ticket, is it possible that it could be dismissed. The speed is not the issue.
And, AGAIN, if you can't follow the rules, you can't get an answer.

Or, to put it another way: US LAW ONLY!

KrsitaTG

Rules? Are you a traffic cop or what because that's all I'm hearing about. Yes this happened in the US, hence US law would apply... If you don't have an answer...don't reply maybe??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Rules? Are you a traffic cop or what because that's all I'm hearing about. Yes this happened in the US, hence US law would apply... If you don't have an answer...don't reply maybe??
I could have one of 53 answers...but hey, you're a rebel, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately those minor omissions on the ticket are not nearly enough to get the ticket dismissed. Better luck next time.

The other person who replied knew this too, but apparently decided it would be more fun to mess you around than to give you a straight answer.

adam_12

Unfortunately those minor omissions on the ticket are not nearly enough to get the ticket dismissed. Better luck next time.

The other person who replied knew this too, but apparently decided it would be more fun to mess you around than to give you a straight answer.
Indeed.

Can you imagine how sad posters here are who gain their personal satisfaction from abusing posters looking for some advice? The seem to run in packs, egging each other on- admonishing each other when one isn't 'rude enough' for their personal pleasure.

Sad

patstew

Can you imagine how sad posters here are who gain their personal satisfaction from abusing posters looking for some advice? The seem to run in packs, egging each other on- admonishing each other when one isn't 'rude enough' for their personal pleasure.
You posts in public, you takes your chances. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">