• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal grounds for termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlbarrette

For California:

My employer posted this a required every one to sign it. I want to know if it's legal grounds for termination:

At no time, shall any employee of....post any disparaging information about the company or its employees on the internet, including chats on social networking sites. Doing so will be grounds for termination.

This is legal and simply a condition of employment, similar to an employer having you sing for drug testing. If you choose not to complete form, it oculd exclude you from employment.

Antigone*

For California:

My employer posted this a required every one to sign it. I want to know if it's legal grounds for termination:

At no time, shall any employee of....post any disparaging information about the company or its employees on the internet, including chats on social networking sites. Doing so will be grounds for termination.

This is legal and simply a condition of employment, similar to an employer having you sing for drug testing. If you choose not to complete form, it oculd exclude you from employment.
Completely legal, consider yourself warned.

eerelations

Even if you don't sign the form, they can legally fire you for breaking any of the rules described on the form, in addition to being able to legally fire you for not signing the form.

Beth3

We see lots of posts from people who were fired after making disparaging comments about their employers and/or bosses on a website and wanting to know if it was legal to terminate them for doing so. (Yes.) At least your employer is giving everyone fair warning that bashing them publicly is going to cost jobs.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

DDDDDD

We see lots of posts from people who were fired after making disparaging comments about their employers and/or bosses on a website and wanting to know if it was legal to terminate them for doing so. (Yes.) At least your employer is giving everyone fair warning that bashing them publicly is going to cost jobs.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Technically, it's employees that feed the employers. But for some reason I seem to be the only one who sees it tht way...

LeeHarveyBlotto

Technically, it's employees that feed the employers. But for some reason I seem to be the only one who sees it tht way...
It's a transaction where each party believes that what they are gaining is more valuable than what they are giving up. No different than any other marketplace transaction.

dlbarrette

Thank you for all the replies. And funny typo: I meant sign for a drug testing, not sing. LOL! But anyway, what ever happened to the First Amendment. Isn't putting something on a chat kind of the same as picketing if you feel the employer is unfair about something?

pattytx

Your right to picket is guaranteed. Without a union, however, so is your right to be fired.

Words have consequences, and it's about time you realized that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ah, the old First Amendment routine again. Where were you during Civics class?

The First Amendment says that the GOVERNMENT cannot restrict your speech. It says nothing about your employer. Free speech does not mean that there can never be any consequences to what you say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">