• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I in breach of contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ianm022

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

About 2 years ago I was promoted at work and was asked to relocate to a different city. I did so, however I knew that the offer I was given was considerably less than what my peers were making and there was no offer of compensation for moving expenses. I negotiated a one time bonus of $5,000 (grossed up) to get me closer to what my peers made (still about $8,000 less) and $3000 for moving expenses. I signed an agreement in order to receive the money that stated I would pay back all of it if I voluntarily left the company within 18 months.

About 2 months after I moved, I received an offer for a new job that was a 60% increase in pay so I decided to take it. The company that I worked for and the new one were both global conglomerates that had many different business units. Some of these business units competed against each other although the one that I was going to move to did not compete with any from the first company. As such, the first company had a policy that you were immediately terminated from employment if you gave notice that you intended to leave to work for a competitor.

I turned in my two weeks notice and I was told that I could not work for two more weeks and I was immediately terminated including an immediate cessation of all health benefits. Shortly after I left, they came to me and told me that I was also liable for the bonus money that I was given and they withheld my left over vacation money (about $1500) as part of that. I went and got a lawyer and explained that I had not voluntarily left the company and I felt that I was not in breach of contract. My attorney agreed and sent a letter to the company explaining our position and that was the last I heard from them for nearly two years.

Recently an attorney/ collections group bought the "debt" from my previous employer and contacted my attorney indicating that they would either settle for $8,650 or litigation would ensue. I feel confident that I have a strong case however I do not have the money to go through litigation since my attorney would ask for a retainer of $10,000 just to get started. I have some questions.

What is the statute of limitations in IL (the state which my previous employer is based) for filing suit on a matter like this?

What does the law say regarding breach of contract on employment matters like this? Am I in breach as soon as I notify my employer of my intention to leave in two weeks, or am I not in breach because they terminated me before I intended to leave?

Can I file a counter claim for all of the legal fees and aggravation this has caused me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is a lot of money to me and I need to make a good decision here. Thanks.

Ian

tranquility

I agree with the others. The only way I think you would have an argument, is if you gave notice two weeks before the 18 months expired and they accepted it immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">