• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i keep myself out of trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jumac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Miane

Just asking what steps I can take to advoid a possible issue.

my brother has an interview at my place of work and I am worried that if he gets hired it could be bad news for me.

He has a history of getting jobs and only keeping them for a short period of time/getting fired for saying he won't do something that is in the job description just cause he don't wana do it.

Also he lives bout 6 miles form me and i can see a issue of him telling work he can't make it cause i won't or can't get him to bring him in or such. Adding in the 6 miles form me to him and the extra distance form his house to work would add bout 30-40 mins on to my drive time.

just worried that if he gets job and dose poorly then they may think that i am going start acting the same way at somepoint or such.

eerelations

You obviously don't want to be disloyal to your brother or you would have taken your boss aside and advised him/her that your brother doesn't have the best work history. Since you're evidently unwilling to do that, I don't know what you can do, except maybe just hope hope hope that your employer doesn't hire your brother.

If the reason you posted this non-legal issue in a legal forum is that you want to know whether it would be legal to fire you if your brother is hired and starts misbehaving at your wrokplace, then yes, this would be legal.

jumac

Just found out last night that he had applied and had gotten the job interview. I do plan to talk to the boss today at work when i get there later on. I like my brother but don't wana risk my job as i have a family to support. I know that it is legal for an employer to fire anyone for anything unless covered by law.

Basicly I want to know what legal ways I can deal with this with out breaking any laws or getting sued by my borther if he says he didn't get the job cause of me.

pattytx

Would your brother really sue you? :eek: Theoretically, I guess he could, but it would cost him a lot of money and a lot of time for a questionable-at- best result.

On the other hand, why keep him from getting a job? The problems between you and your brother are yours to work out between you. If he screws up, he is the one that will be fired, not you.

pattytx

Well, he can explain his own work history in his interview and based on what he put on his application.

Personally, I'd stay out of it, unless you are asked specifically. However, if I werethis employer, I wouldn't ask you, because I'd figure you'd make him sound like the greatest thing since the espress-maker.

Who knows, he may have finally decided to clean up his act.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">