• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mitigation hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kkaur81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Washington state

I got pulled over for going 81 in a 60 zone (yes i know thats bad, but i was VERY distracted due to 3 of my family members passing away) so i applied for a mitigation hearing. i got my license in january and this is my first ticket ever. by the way im 18. so what exactly happens at this hearing? what do i do? and do i need to bring anything wtih me?

also my friend is going into law and he said that a cop cant ticket you if youre not at the place where you did the "crime." for example, a police officer caught him texting while driving, so he pulled over to a store, went in and then came out. the police officer said i saw you texting and he said yes but i was texting on the road im now at a store so you cant ticket me. and the police officer didnt ticket him. i hope that makes sense...i was on a 2 way road...i was going one way and the officer was going the other way. i was speeding at one place and he pulled me over when iwas actually going at the speed limit. so could he still ticket me?

im sorry if this is all confusing, if you need more info or that doesnt make any sense please let me know. thanks in advance!

FlyingRon

Your friend either is going to be a hell of a lawyer or flunk out of law school. Of course they can ticket you at a location (and even time) distant from where you were observed breaking the law. He's either ignorant of the law or does an amazing job of expository talking to convince the cop of that fallacy.

Maestro64

This defense seem to be a theme lately, "you can not ticket me because it am now somewhere different than where you actually observed me"

Yes the officer can ticket you at any time or place after the fact, unless the state has some sort of time limit when a ticket must be issued. The only thing the officer is required to do is document where he actually observed the offense.

The problem you have is you live in Washington State and tickets are civil and therefore they just have to prove you were more likely speeding than not and the officer word is enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">