• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in Onondaga county N.Y - 89/65

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kbar

State - NY
County - Onondaga
City/Town - City of Lafayette

Hello.

On 11/14/2009 i was driving from NYC to Buffalo N.Y when i was caught speeding on I-81 around the Town of Lafayette in Onondaga county New York.
The state trooper had me clocked by using a laser.

I pleaded not guilty and had received a week ago a latter where i need to write a reason for reduction and send it to the district attorney at the town of Lafayette.

I have a previous 6 points charge on my record from a little over a year ago.

I am a college student in Buffalo and i relay on my car around Buffalo. I do not live on campus which makes my car very significant for me.

I drive a 1999 Mercedes that my father gave me. The car has a lot of problems and as a college student i have little time to maintain the car.
During that drive my speedometer was not functioning well, and because the road was clear i wasn't able to estimate my speed.

On the latter they are asking for "Explanation or equities as to why a reduction is in order". What should i write in order to reduce the points and avoid a suspension?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

State - NY
County - Onondaga
City/Town - City of Lafayette

Hello.

On 11/14/2009 i was driving from NYC to Buffalo N.Y when i was caught speeding on I-81 around the Town of Lafayette in Onondaga county New York.
The state trooper had me clocked by using a laser.

I pleaded not guilty and had received a week ago a latter where i need to write a reason for reduction and send it to the district attorney at the town of Lafayette.

I have a previous 6 points charge on my record from a little over a year ago.

I am a college student in Buffalo and i relay on my car around Buffalo. I do not live on campus which makes my car very significant for me.

I drive a 1999 Mercedes that my father gave me. The car has a lot of problems and as a college student i have little time to maintain the car.
During that drive my speedometer was not functioning well, and because the road was clear i wasn't able to estimate my speed.

On the latter they are asking for "Explanation or equities as to why a reduction is in order". What should i write in order to reduce the points and avoid a suspension?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Just a guess here, but saying your speedometer was broken so you were going 24 miles over the speed limit won't impress the judge.

Kbar

What could i write as an explanation for reduction?
I will leave the speedometer part out then

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, you certainly cannot point out your good driving record. This charge will add an additional 6 points to your driving record which will result in a suspension of your license.

No one can tell you what to write. A broken speedometer is never a legal justification for speeding, but it's probably the only thing you have to go with. I am not familiar with the court in question, so I can't really offer any further advice. It seems like they are looking for a reason to reduce the charge, but you really have nothing to give them.

jim2798

Just need to pick on you a little.....they probably gave you a break the the 89, because you were probably really doing 95! And the judge knows that, so your story that your Mercedes rides so smooth you had no idea your were doing 95....good luck with that one!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">