• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Totaled Vehicle, Ticketed for no insurance at scene of accident (not at-fault)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhharlow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

I was involved in a car accident a few days ago. The person driving the other vehicle ran a red light, I slammed on the brakes, but was unable to avoid t-boning his Ford Explorer. There were witnesses on the scene, as well as police, firemen and paramedics. Because it is in Alaska State Law that all drivers must carry (at minimum) liability insurance and I did not have it at the time of the crash, my totaled 4-door sedan was impounded and I was ticketed.

I purchased an insurance policy for the vehicle yesterday so that I could pay the fines and have it released from impound and I have a hearing for the lack of insurance (which is a criminal matter in AK), but here's the hitch: The car is totaled and I don't have any other vehicles. The totaled car is set to go to a metal-recycling center here in Anchorage before the court date. What I'm wondering is, Do I need to keep the insurance that I purchased after the accident until the court-date, or can I cancel it before the court date and just show the court proof that I no longer own a vehicle?

I want to do the right thing. I'm a 4.0 university student and I cannot afford to waste money on an insurance policy which does no one any good, aside from serving as proof that I did correct the problem of not having insurance.

Thank you for your response and assistance. Have a blessed day.

FlyingRon

I'm not sure why you bought insurance on a totaled vehicle. How was buying an insurance policy after the fact going to correct a violation? Did your lawyer tell you that this would somehow mitigate your offense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">