• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving without a License in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beaver0284

I recently made a very stupid decision in driving my brothers car without a valid California Drivers License and was stopped by the police. The officer was really nice and instead of impounding the car he had me wait till my brother came and picked up the car. I was polite and honest with the officer and provided him identification when he asked for it. He mentioned that I could have been arrested and the car could have been impounded.

He gave me a ticket to appear in court and I signed it. The officer said that I should get my license before I go to court, but I have been unable to do so. I have not had a license before and this is the first time I have ever been in trouble with the law. I'm a college graduate and have always done the right thing, except for this one time. So I am really scared as to what might happen when I go to court. The penalties I have found say I can go to jail for a year which I really don't want have happen.

Does anyone out there know what the penalties the judge might give me?

Some Random Guy

instead of impounding the car he had me wait till my brother came and picked up the car
That saved you hundreds of dollars

The officer said that I should get my license before I go to court, but I have been unable to do so.
And why not? You have looked at the law and seen that the penalty includes up to a year in jail. What excuse could you possibly come up with that is worth a year of your life?

Find the money. Find the time. Make it happen.

Penalties for CVC 12500 (a) depend on how its charged, as a misdemeanor or infraction. And in cases where you have no criminal or traffic history and you get a license before the court appearance, there is a chance you can get them to dismiss the ticket. Get your license and play nice with the prosecution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">