• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance on another owner's car???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

d21x

Wisconsin

I have a car that is registered under my name. My father insured the car with full coverage. The car got stolen and insurance will not cover the car. Is this legal? Is there anything I can do? Please let me know. Thanks!

tammy8

Sounds like the insurance company is denying claim because the car was inproperly insured. Were you listed as a driver/named insured on your father's insurance policy?

d21x

Sounds like the insurance company is denying claim because the car was inproperly insured. Were you listed as a driver/named insured on your father's insurance policy?
No I was not in the policy. I have my own policy for a different car.

d21x

Do you live with your father?

Also, were you specifically EXCLUDED from the policy?
No, I do not live with my father. I'm not on the insurance policy, because I don't drive the car. My brother who is on the policy drives it.

I'm not sure if this matters or not, but I do have a good driving record and credit score.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, I do not live with my father. I'm not on the insurance policy, because I don't drive the car. My brother who is on the policy drives it.

I'm not sure if this matters or not, but I do have a good driving record and credit score.
Your father should not have insured a vehicle that he had no interest in. THAT is why he's being denied.

justalayman

Wisconsin

I have a car that is registered under my name. My father insured the car with full coverage. The car got stolen and insurance will not cover the car. Is this legal? Is there anything I can do? Please let me know. Thanks!
did the insurance company know it was not your fathers car he was insuring?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">