• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto insurance for teen with permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teresarae

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

In Mississippi you can get your permit at 15 and then six months later get your intermediate permit. With your intermediate you can drive without a parent but must not drive after 10pm. I called my insurance company and you do not need to add the 15 year old with her permit to your insurance. Does that sound right? What if she gets in an accident when she is by herself in the car, would my insurance just cover it?

ecmst12

The child shouldn't need to be added to insurance until she gets her license. You should not allow her to drive unsupervised until she gets her license.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

In Mississippi you can get your permit at 15 and then six months later get your intermediate permit. With your intermediate you can drive without a parent but must not drive after 10pm. I called my insurance company and you do not need to add the 15 year old with her permit to your insurance. Does that sound right? What if she gets in an accident when she is by herself in the car, would my insurance just cover it?
Q: What if she gets in an accident when she is by herself in the car, would my insurance just cover it?

A: I doubt it. But you need to ask your agent before it happens.

justalayman

What if she gets in an accident when she is by herself in the car, would my insurance just cover it?
If she is under 15 1/2 and does not have her license, would be committing a crime is she were driving without a parent in the car. The insurance would likely refuse to cover your vehicle and depending on the situation, refuse any liability coverage as well. If she was with a parent,

If she is 15 1/2 or older and has her license, she would need to be listed on the policy as a driver.

In other words, she should never be in the car by herself until she has her license.

I-Guy03

This is similar to how it works in Iowa, but you can get your intermediate permit at 15 as long as you have had your learner's permit for 6 months (which you can get when you are 14). Scary right? You need to add your daughter on the insurance as soon as she gets her intermediate permit and can drive alone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">