• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a contract lawyer to make my personal injury lawyer uphold changes in our a

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crash Corrigan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma.
Question: Do I need a contract lawyer to make my personal injury lawyer uphold changes in our agreement? Background: I signed a contingency agreement for 40% after a vehicle accident. My lawyer offered to reduce his fees to 33% if I’d take the settlement offers, after finding there wouldn’t even be enough money to cover the medical bills, but didn't put it in writing, except email. Now he’s filed an interpleading without talking to me first and submitted only 44K to the court, not the full $74, taking $30 thousand dollars off the top. The judge hasn’t approved anything yet, the hearing date is set for next month. I hear the judge will likely not want to hear about this or get involved in any contract disputes between us. In an already “that’s just the way it is” case, where there’s no money and it looks like I’ll be paying for medical treatment for the rest of my life, can I not at least make him keep his word about that?
He also told me that if I had to file bankruptcy, I would be allowed to keep the first 50K. Now there isn’t even that to contend with and what little money might be left makes a real difference to my circumstances. Must I lie down and take this? Please don’t tell me he’s done everything he is supposed to do. The hospitals can write it off losses as charity, I am, by far, the one worst hurt, and he's lied to me. It would take too long to detail more here. At this late date, it’s nearly impossible for me to fire him & get new representation. Can he get away with this? Please, someone out there, help me. No one seems to want to touch a case if there’s no money in it, so what can I do to compel him to keep his word?

latigo

Oklahoma Bar Association
1901 N. Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
1-800-522-7001

Anything else?

Darras-Law

Best Contact a Legal Consultant and then hire a legal advisor

I would suggest you to contact a legal consultant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">