• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skellz22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

My pervious employer suspended me from work for violationg a known company policy. I admit that I did break the return policy and returned items that I was not suppose to. I did not clearly read the employee handbook and was unaware of the policy. I understand that the onus was on me to read what I was signing, but it is a little to late to go back now. I was suppose to have a meeting with this employer regarding the returns however I did not show to the meeting and thus was sent a certified letter stating that since I did not attend the meeting I resigned my position, however the employer told the unemployment office that I was terminated for violating a known policy. They are in the process of appealing my unemployment for the following issues

SEPARATION: whether the claimant was discharged for misconduct connected with work or voluntarily left work without good cause as defined in the statute, pursuant to Sections 443.101(1), (9), (10), (11); 443.036(29), Florida Statues; Rule 60BB-3.020, Florida Administrative Code.

CHARGES TO EMPLOYMENT RECORD: Whether benefit payments made to the claimant shall be charged to the employment record of the employer, pursuant to Section 443.131(3)(a), Florida Statutes; Rule 60BB-2.026, 3.018, Florida Administrative Code.

I am not sure what avenue to take. HELP!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

csi7

You attend the appeal hearing. It will probably be done by telephone.
The employer has to prove their case.

Beth3

I was suppose to have a meeting with this employer regarding the returns however I did not show to the meeting and thus was sent a certified letter stating that since I did not attend the meeting I resigned my position

Not smart. You had an opportunity to explain that you were unaware of the policy and possibly save your job.

however the employer told the unemployment office that I was terminated for violating a known policy.

It was a known policy - it was in the employee handbook.

All you can do is attend the hearing and state your side of things. Given that you chose not to attend the meeting to discuss the violation of the policy, I suspect your chances of receiving UC benefits are very slim.

swalsh411

I was going to say that your chances of not being disqualified for misconduct will depend on the severity of the error and if you had otherwise been an OK employee but then I reread the part about you not reading the employee handbook. I don’t think you have a snowballs chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">