• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues with education

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

studentnurse78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I have been working for my employer for six years. In the fall of 2008, I began my education to become a registered nurse. I have been enrolled full-time since 2008 and have had a modified schedule that works around the days that I have class. This type of scheduling has allowed me to remain full-time at my job and full-time in school. Just recently, my employer has told me that I can no longer do this schedule or any type of modified schedule for the remaining semesters. They have given me little notice and I am wondering if I can sue them for this. They are forcing me to choose surviving or to drop out of school because of the amount of notice they have given me. I am currently a Licensed Practical Nurse and most facilities require an orientation period that my school schedule would not provide for. Is there anything I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

You work when your employer wants you to work, not when you want to work. if you do not like the schedule you are of course free to find another employer who may be more willing to accomodate you. (and if you're a good employee, let them know this is why you are leaving).

eerelations

Agree. Absent a written contract, your employer is not breaking any laws. Ergo, you do not have the basis for a lawsuit.

Hot Topic

Your employer was kind enough to accommodate your schedule so you could train to be a nurse, then quit. Unless there's a contract to the contrary, you can't demand that they adhere to your educational demands until you're ready to hand in your letter of resignation. Having a job is not 100% about you and your wants and needs.

Yours is one example of why companies are sometimes reluctant to accommodate students.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They have given me little notice and I am wondering if I can sue them for this.

Of course not. What law do you think gives you the right to determine what hours you will and will not work, and/or forces the employer to schedule you at your convenience? What law do you think exists that requires an employer to give you any kind of notice?

They are forcing me to choose surviving or to drop out of school because of the amount of notice they have given me

No, they are telling you that they are no longer willing to modify your schedule, which they have no legal obligation to do. The fact that they have done so for two years does not mean they are required to do so forever. YOU are the one making the decision that you have to drop out if they will not let you work the hours YOU want to work. There are other options available to you - you are putting your own limits on the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">