• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summary Administration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsimp21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi all,

My grandmother recently passed away, and my Mother, who is her only living child, spoke with an attorney here that suggested pursuing a Summary Administration proceeding to have the house that my grandmother owned transferred to her name so it can be sold. I have read up on the matter and I see that there is a $75,000 limit on the value of the estate for the Summary Administration proceeding.

First, who determines the value of the house? If you ask the property appraiser, it is probably worth $100k, however market value may be (and likely is) much less. Obviously you can't truly determine how much it will sell for until you actually put it on the market and sell it, which you can't do until it's under the heir's name.

Second, if this did qualify for Summary Administration, is this the right way to go, and is this something that can be done without a lawyer? If a lawyer is recommended, what would be a ballpark fee that one should expect to pay for this service?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">