• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit Battle on Residence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kirbster

I reside in Florida where I signed a lease last February. The lease ended on February 24, 2001. As of the 38th day after the lease ended and I moved out after notifying my landlord that I still hadn't received my security deposit back. Per my lease they had to return the funds back to me, $435, within 30 days. I have since called them 3 separate times and have not received a return phone call. I then sent my ex-landlord a certified letter which they have now signed for, demanding my full deposit back. As of the 46th day since my lease ended I received a letter from my landlord, with a check for only half of my deposit, stating that they were keeping the rest for cleaning. Per Florida statute 83.49 I thought they only had 15 days in which to notify me of any claim on the money. In the letter they sated that they have been on vacation and that is why it took so long. Do I have a case? Also, should I cash the check or wait to fight my full claim?

JETX

Based solely on your post, it appears you have a case against them.

I would suggest that you hold the check until the court decides the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">