• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee trying to get co-worker fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hunterr1950

ohio
My daughter’s co-worker is distorting the true concerning her work performance. If she gets fired can she sue the co-worker for “destroying her work reputation”? No one in the office will stand up to the co-worker for fear of their jobs since the co-worker has been in the office for 8 years. My daughter has only worked there for 8 months.

cyjeff

Probably not.

What kind of work is done and what is being said?

If it is opinion, that makes the case... difficult.

hunterr1950

She (my daughter – I’ll call M) is an Orthopedic technician. Her office manager (we will call B)

This is just two examples that happened last Friday:

A. “B” was in the bathroom when the phone rang at the desk. Even though this is not my daughter job – she was not busy and answered the phone.

An irate customer was on the other line demanding to know if her glasses were in. My daughter checked the in box but it was empty. Then “B” returned to the desk and my daughter asked about the customer’s glasses. “B” said “I already talked to her – they are on back order and in the mail.” “M” stated that the customer was very upset and asked if she could talk to her. “B” said “not right now – take a phone number. I’m busy with customers.” “M” knew she just came from the bathroom but wasn’t going to correct her.

As “M” started to pick the phone up to talk to the customer again – “B” grabbed the phone out of her hand and talked to the customer. “B” stated after hanging up that the customer stated that “M” had been rude and didn’t want to help her. “M” stated I would have helped her but I didn’t know the situation or any information to help the customer.
Later that day “B” talked to the main Dr. (I will call “X”) telling him that “M” was rude to a customer on a phone and that the customer complained.

B. Later that day, Dr. “X” had 3 patients in the office at the same time.

1. The patient he was working one
2. One that showed up 45 minutes late
3. The patient that showed up on time.

Dr. “X” wanted #1 to have pictures taken. “M” wanted to pre-test #3 (which only takes a few seconds to do) and asked the dr. which one he wanted her to do first. Dr. “X” said # 1 pictures.

As “M” started to do the pictures, “B” was complaining loudly to the other co-workers (in front of the other patients) that “M” wasn’t doing her job right and backing up the patients because she was taking pictures instead of doing the pre-testing. “M” stepped into the office to explain that Dr. “X” wanted it this way.

Later that day “B” went to a different Dr. (there are 3 working in the office) and told her that “M” refused listen to “B”’s instructions and was backing up patients on purpose.

My daughter tried to talk to the Dr. “X” later that day but he refused and said he was too busy. On her ½ hr lunch “M” wrote out a short note tried to explain what was going on with both issues and asked for a meeting. He read the note and didn’t say anything and left it on his desk for anyone to read.

As my daughter printed out the work schedule for the next week she saw that “her” 3 months review was scheduled for Monday night. Not only has it been less than 2 months since her last review but one of the Dr.’s is not scheduled to work that day.

As my daughter was leaving work Friday night Dr. “X” came into the office and asked the 3 co-workers and “B” if anyone was off next week from work. They said No. He did not ask my daughter.

quincy

In your first post, you mentioned that "B" was a coworker. If she is the office manager, as described in your second post, it makes a difference.

Based only on what you have posted here, it appears that your daughter may be violating "office politics" by asking for direction from the doctors and not from the office manager. She should not be "standing up to" the office manager, and this fact the other employees have already learned.

The office manager was hired by the doctors, no doubt, to keep the office running smoothly by scheduling appointments and procedures, handling billing matters, and fielding patient concerns and complaints. This leaves the doctors free to do the doctoring. The doctors do not want to be bothered with employee spats.

It sounds to me like your daughter has ticked a few people off. While she can certainly address her concerns at her review meeting, I do not see any legal action she can pursue against the office manager that would have much chance of success, should the review meeting result in her termination. However, she can always consult with an attorney in her area for a review of the facts.

But I wish her good luck.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

You need to stop trying to fight your daughter's battles for her. They're none of your business. Allow her to be a big girl when she's facing adversity at work, and she'll end up feeling and looking more capable and mature.

hunterr1950

They're none of your business. Allow her to be a big girl :confused:

Sorry if I sounded like an overbearing Mother. My Daughter doesn’t know I’m asking any questions but wanted some correct answers when she comes to me for answers.

I didn’t want to give wrong advice (her husband was the one to suggest suing the co-worker).

Quincy – thanks for the advice. You have been a big help.

quincy

You're welcome, hunter.

Your daughter sounds young, which is certainly not a crime (if it was, a lot of people would probably want to commit it ;)). She will discover on her own soon enough that, in any workplace, the most important thing to learn is who wields the most power. Then it is important to respect that power (even if it is hard to respect the person who wields it).

I suspect in the doctor's office the office manager is that power-wielder and your daughter is learning that fact the hard way.

Good luck to her at the review meeting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">