• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School denying a refund.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Louise86

I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section, I couldn't quite figure out what category it fit into. Here we go...

I am receiving a military spouse grant. I applied FA to three courses from a small online school that specializes in fitness certificates. After finishing a course through a different school, I decided the other three courses would be repetitive and unnecessary. I was also uncomfortable with the fact that this small school wanted a $30 money order for every exam submitted for grading.

I contacted the school and asked for a refund. I was told they do not give refunds for their sales that go through the military spouse grant. After reading that, I searched their website up and down for proof. It was nowhere to be found, but I did see their "enrollment agreement". It had their refund chart laid out very clearly. It didn't mention the no refund policy for their sales through the grant. At all. Anywhere. It actually explained that if I didn't complete any of the coursework, I was eligible for a 100% refund.

I contacted a counselor from the military spouse grant and let them know about the situation. He agreed that I deserved a refund and told me I should ask them for it in writing. He wanted to see their policy.

After talking to my counselor, I responded to the school's email. I explained that I was never informed of the no refund policy and told them I have seen their enrollment agreement.

His response was (by the way, this is the "president" of the school I'm communicating with): "As I have stated there are no refunds through the special arrangement with MyCAA-it has never been mentioned as you are the first individual in over 500 student in the program to bring it up. That is final."

My question is... obviously... is that legal?!

I know in retail that a return policy must be posted somewhere for everyone to see or printed on their receipts. It must be like that in a situation like this also, right? Even more so, I'd think.

Luckily, my counselor is on my side and can't believe the school has flat out told me it's not in writing anywhere. But, what if there ends up being nothing they can do about it? I'm sure there is - it's a federal grant program - but yikes! I made sure to take screenshots of everything on their website that pertains to the situation. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance for the input! :)

(Oh, and I don't know if this makes a difference but I live in California and I believe this school is based out of New Jersey.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">