• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladybgjk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee In July 2007 I purchased a vehicle from a local dealer, a 2004 Malibu. In February, 2010, this vehicle was paid in full. As of this date, I have yet to receive the title for this vehicle. In trying to find out the specifics, I have been told the bank that financed the vehicle is holding the title for not only my car, but several others as well. Upon contacting the attorney for the bank, I was informed they were in litigation with the dealer, with a court date set for October, however the dealer borrowed X amount of dollars, and they have no way of knowing which car has been paid for, as they do not have it listed that way. Now the local dealer has closed their doors, but have informed other customers to continue to make their payments and it will be forwarded to the main office in Minnesota (I also have another vehicle I purchased from this dealer in December 2007 that I am still paying on). I need to know what legal steps I can take against the dealer to either get my title for a car paid in full 6 months ago, or get my $14,000 back I paid for the car. Thanks

FlyingRon

You're making payments to the dealer or to a lender that was affiliated with the dealer. In the latter, I'd get on the horn right away to the the lender. I have no idea why they would tolerate not having the title transfered (and their security interest placed on it).

Without a title, you don't have a car purchased. I'd be talking to the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">